Beta FAQ ~Ask your questions here~

Elswor

Rabby
I see that Teddy has already answered this through mail, but I'll answer here as well in case anyone else wonders the same:

Unfortunately there's no way to get access to the DRM-free version through a Steam purchase, as it's a Humble feature only! :( If you regret purchasing through Steam, you could always try to get a refund and, if successful, repurchase the game through our site (or the Humble Store) in order to get the DRM-free copy.

Not sure if this changes anything, but I bought the game via Steam and can run it perfectly fine without Steam by just launching it from where its stored in the Steam folder, works completely like the DRM-free version from what I've seen (IP connections for multiplayer, no drop-ins) even on Frontline builds.

Now the question of "whether or not I could bring it with me" is still up for debate, but other than that it works fine without Steam.

*** Doing this does however cause desync between Steam's cloud save thing and your local saves, and while it is easily fixed (via just uploading whatever save file is most recent) its still worth noting.

PhantomSya

Green Slime
I bought the game via the website, and after a few months (im not 100% sure) the game un-purchased itself! any idea why?

Bc1151

Green Slime
Hey! You guys had me sold the SECOND I opened your steam page, I am so excited to try this game!

Please note that I have not played the game yet, so I am sorry if I state the obvious haha.
I have a few questions about your plans (I thoroughly read the FAQ, don't worry ;) )

I am the type of guy who LOVES spending THOUSANDS of hours games, and I played so much snes that I think my thumbs will never forgive me. My main question is, other than the arcade mode, do you have plans to implement things that offer daily play value? Like, maybe daily quests, or repeatable bosses, or dungeons throughout the map. I am a big fan of roguelikes, and grinding, so the arcade mode seems like it's going to be a big hit.

Another thing I am wondering is if you have plans for some sort of infinite progression system, like perhaps no exp cap or something of the sort. something that makes you feel like spending 500 hours in game got you somewhere!

I really love what I've seen of this game so far, and I am looking forward to playing it and watching it grow <3

- Your friendly neighbourhood no-life, Bc.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I'm up to 510 hours without a limitless EXP cap :p I guess it depends what you see as fun. I could quite happily run through story mode another 5 times xD
There actually is no exp cap. I think Teddy said that you need 10k exp to level up each time and once you outlevel the monsters they start giving you less and less exp. However the enemies actually give you 1 exp when it seems like you're getting none so it is possible to get suuper high levels but it will require you to kill 10k monsters for each level. :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I bought the game via the website, and after a few months (im not 100% sure) the game un-purchased itself! any idea why?

The only thing I can think of would be that it was an automatic chargeback (that is, Humble Bundle never received the money, or the bank reported the transaction as fraud and requested the money back)!

If you want to get clarity in the matter you could PM me the e-mail you used to purchase the game and I can have a look.

Bc1151

Green Slime
*opened up SOG for the first time at 8am* *looks at the clock* "Aaand now I need to make supper."

I am LOVING this game!~

Zurityy

Green Slime
What's the best place to grind exp? Currently level 21, and training at the Temple of Seasons.
I want to test out a lot of skills but leveling is so slow since there isn't access to other higher level monster maps unfortunately.

Ardeof

Rabby
What's the best place to grind exp? Currently level 21, and training at the Temple of Seasons.
I want to test out a lot of skills but leveling is so slow since there isn't access to other higher level monster maps unfortunately.

Apparently each monster gives a minimum of 1 exp, so training on slimes at lvl 21 is a legitimate way of leveling up. It'd require killing some absurd amount of slimes though.

GarlicJelly

You could use the different commands available. http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/commands.936/

There is a command to refund skill points, to change your level and to give you an insane amount of skill points. :p

Ardeof

Rabby
You could use the different commands available. http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/commands.936/

There is a command to refund skill points, to change your level and to give you an insane amount of skill points. :p

Some people like to grind the natural way though, as a sort of min/max experience. Using commands to level a character is pretty much cheating, and imo those commands should be removed from story mode. It'd be better to add a "Story Mode with cheats on" and a fully leveled "Godmode" character with everything available to try out the game. The only thing is that those characters shouldn't be able to join the other story modes.

GarlicJelly

Some people like to grind the natural way though, as a sort of min/max experience. Using commands to level a character is pretty much cheating, and imo those commands should be removed from story mode. It'd be better to add a "Story Mode with cheats on" and a fully leveled "Godmode" character with everything available to try out the game. The only thing is that those characters shouldn't be able to join the other story modes.
It's about how every player wants to play the game. Some like to cheat and some thing it ruins everything. What difference does it really make if the game provides the cheats or some third-party-program? There are countless games that have cheatcodes in them and the beta commands are no different. If you don't want to play with someone that cheated then tell them and if they don't want to stop cheating then kick them from your game. Cheating doesn't hurt anyone in Singleplayer and the commands don't affect other people's characters so no real harm can come out of it.

Zurityy

Green Slime

Well, let's say you actually do gain about 1 exp per monster you killed. Currently I am level 22, and it takes about 1 hour and maybe 30 minutes or so to level up, absurd?

I really don't want the game to become some mindless grind fest.. really. I currently like the game how it is, but I find leveling up really, really tiring.

Ardeof

Rabby
Well, let's say you actually do gain about 1 exp per monster you killed. Currently I am level 22, and it takes about 1 hour and maybe 30 minutes or so to level up, absurd?

I really don't want the game to become some mindless grind fest.. really. I currently like the game how it is, but I find leveling up really, really tiring.

The game is still in development, so as the character progresses so will the levels/skills. Right now the level cap is reasonably around lvl 20 because of the limitations of the areas, with anyone going above that having spent at least an hour+ grinding on some kind of monster. With the new areas that shall be released, the levels of the monsters will be higher and the character will be able to level up more easily. I'm expecting around lvl 50 based on the current map/area, with the potential of characters nearing lvl 100 comfortably if the difficulty scales a lot more than expected.

Ardeof

Rabby
It's about how every player wants to play the game. Some like to cheat and some thing it ruins everything. What difference does it really make if the game provides the cheats or some third-party-program? There are countless games that have cheatcodes in them and the beta commands are no different. If you don't want to play with someone that cheated then tell them and if they don't want to stop cheating then kick them from your game. Cheating doesn't hurt anyone in Singleplayer and the commands don't affect other people's characters so no real harm can come out of it.

Scenario:

A group of 4 acquaintances group together to play a casual Story Mode in Secrets of Grindea. In the middle of story mode, you notice 1/2/3 of the three doing an absurd amount of damage suddenly, in the middle of Story Mode, 1-hitting Giga/Winter/etc. (some important, decently difficult boss). Thus ruining any exciting part of the Story Mode. The individual(s)'s reasoning? "Well, it was too difficult so I used some cheats".

I'd rather have players like that locked from the option of ruining an experience in the middle of the game, than trust that a person won't do that at least once at some point in time. Having to kick a person because of a bad design is not how a Game should be developed. I know that most players probably will play with those they know well enough, I also know that it's easy enough to leave games. But I also know that it'd save a lot of hassle if there was some sort of filter, to negate cheats in Story Mode. It could be as easy as a checkbox/radio button toggle while creating the story mode host server.

Zurityy

Green Slime
The game is still in development, so as the character progresses so will the levels/skills. Right now the level cap is reasonably around lvl 20 because of the limitations of the areas, with anyone going above that having spent at least an hour+ grinding on some kind of monster. With the new areas that shall be released, the levels of the monsters will be higher and the character will be able to level up more easily. I'm expecting around lvl 50 based on the current map/area, with the potential of characters nearing lvl 100 comfortably if the difficulty scales a lot more than expected.

That makes a lot of sense if you put it like that, thanks! Can't wait for the release!