Creating a new wiki, need help & permission

Once the conversation is done I can always delete the things that are not on topic. :p
Nah, it's fine! :p
I would say great job on the text box style, but you can't read any of the red text on them (was looking at the page for dad). I think that's a link to a page that doesn't exist, right? You might wanna change the colour of that ;)
Yup, it's a link to a page that does not exist, it's not really worth changing this, since our ultimate goal, is to create a page for every one of them :p

How do I properly link to pages that don't exist yet? How are spaces treated? PillarMountains, or Pillar_Mountains, or just the usual space?
The link function goes like this [[Name of the Page|text that is being shown]]

Edit: Also, what about spoilers? For example, in Startington is also a location for a treasure map. Is it supposed to be put into the "Places of interest" category?
Treasure maps will have their own page, on a wiki, spoilers don't exist, I might create a spoiler tag to hide though

Edit2: Furthermore, the category "Items" of a location - does it include items found through quests? If yes, does it matter whether or not the quest starts in/ends in/is connected to the respective location?
I think we should include the items given by NPCs, by quests, or by drop in this particular area does that sound alright?[/QUOTE]

res7less

Jumpkin
I think we should include the items given by NPCs, by quests, or by drop in this particular area does that sound alright?
Yes, categorizing sounds good. I love categorizing!

That's a fair point. Your normally go to the wiki to find the spoilers for the thing you're missing, and come to it fully expecting them :p
I totally agree, but that's one thing if you go to the Treasure Map page to find a treasure map location that you've missed, and another when you go to the Startington page to read up on the location for whatever reason and accidently stumble upon a Point of Interest, that reveals being a treasure map location. Thus my question, whether or not such things as treasure map spots are supposed to be a point of interest on a location page or if a separate Treasure Map page is enough.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I reckon a separate page for maps would be better in that situation, but maybe you could make a link to the treasure map page there, that way you know that a map ends in a vague area, but not the specific area of it. I'm not the one to make the decisions though :p

res7less

Jumpkin
I reckon a separate page for maps would be better in that situation, but maybe you could make a link to the treasure map page there, that way you know that a map ends in a vague area, but not the specific area of it.
Sounds reasonable. Something like a note, making aware that there is a treasure map spot somewhere, providing a link to the Treasure Map page if the viewer is interested.

res7less

Jumpkin
@Teddy or @Vilya
Is Smith Anne's and Wyl's father? Shortly before the exam Anne says, that their father is reserving seats, so it can be assumed, but we're not sure. Just needing this for the Wiki, if you please.

Upping this post because the wiki received some improvement and is now ready to be worked on by anyone willing to contribute. Hit me up! :)

JonathanW12

Green Slime
I'm willing to contribute! I am quite new to this forum but I have a lot of time on secrets of grindea and am good at getting sprites and writing pages.

Last edited:

JonathanW12

Green Slime
Ok, I have done some things now.
  1. Added links section to front page
  2. Added optional float and width options to "Template:Box"
  3. Added "Template:Enemy Infobox" so you can make pages for enemies. The template has a card section and will show a gif of an enemy if I have uploaded one (if a gif doesnt exist it will show a normal png).
  4. Created pages for green slime, rabby and mrs bee. The enemy pages have flavour text, card text, history, attack strategy, drops and empowered enemy sections.
  5. Added enemy pngs and a few gifs and cards for all of the enemies in pillar mountains and evergrind fields.
  6. Added page for "Category:Enemies"
I will keep adding enemy pages to the wiki now. At the moment I am finishing off pillar mountains and I will move onto pumpkin woods soon!

Things that I do not know how to do:
  1. Change link colours for locations on enemy pages.
  2. Remove a strange shadow effect that appear on gifs.
  3. Add sub-catergories for enemies depending on their locations.

Sorry I haven't seen your messages before, I will start going through everything you've done. Don't forget, a wiki is meant to be impartial, so don't use the pronoun "you". :p

JonathanW12

Green Slime
Ok! I have edited the page for queen bee, but now I have another question: do I refer to the player as "it" or "him/her"?
Also, I see you have renamed all of the enemy sprites and changed the template for enemy infobox so that the gif name is different. Will the gifs be renamed to go with the pages or will they be unused? Next, do you know if it is possible to find health,level ect. in the games code? Finally, I dont know how to make a heading for the links section on the main page without putting some text or an image before it. Do you know how to fix it?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I can answer one of those questions. If it's essential wiki's tend to use "the player" rather than a he/sh/it/you. However, you can make a sentence without a pronoun at all. Say we're thinking of writing

"To get the sandals, the player should enter the cave. The player should then press the use button while standing in front of the chest."

In these sentences, "the player" is the subject of the sentence, and the cave/chest/use button are the objects of the sentence, because the player is the one entering or pressing the use button. If we swap the cave/chest/use button to the subject we get this:

"To get the sandals, the cave should be entered. The use button should then be pressed while standing in front of the chest."

And by this process, we eliminate the player entirely :p Haven't checked the wiki that much, but if this format isn't being used I'd highly recommend it.

Ok! I have edited the page for queen bee, but now I have another question: do I refer to the player as "it" or "him/her"?
as "the player" if possible, such as "If a Green Slime attacks the player." or else as "they" if necessary like "they get hurt" but it's better to say "the player gets hurt"

Also, I see you have renamed all of the enemy sprites and changed the template for enemy infobox so that the gif name is different. Will the gifs be renamed to go with the pages or will they be unused?

I am currently working on that, I was interrupted in the process of it, I will make it so there is only one format, that way, templates will be easier to work around with.

Next, do you know if it is possible to find health,level ect. in the games code?
Yes it is, I will work on that when the enemies pages will be done ^^

Finally, I dont know how to make a heading for the links section on the main page without putting some text or an image before it. Do you know how to fix it?
I will look into this when I'm done reviewing your changes, in any way, the display of the main page is not gonna stay like this, so we can see that later. :p