Fade's feedback as of Frontline Version: 0.57a

Dragontear

Green Slime
Firstly, let me just say I absolutely love the game, and any criticism here is going to be as constrictive as possible. I know you guys are working extremely hard on this and I am very pleased with the results so far.

Story mode:
General Feedback
I very much enjoyed both the single player and multiplayer gameplay, little nods to classic games did not go unappreciated. Left wanting more.

Art
Some character portraits look odd, misshapen heads, or characters not quite matching my expectations based on seeing their in-map counterparts. I understand this is all a WIP and I've noticed a few portraits with more polish that look much better, so hopefully it isn't too offensive to poke a bit of fun.

waitress1.png

"Heey, how you doin' cutey?"

waitress2.png

-gagging sounds- "No..I was just leaving"

My apologies to Loretta, I'm sure she has a wonderful personality and I hate to single her out, so I'm also going to pick on Ryu.

ryu.png

First Fan-theory of SOG - Some of the npcs are inbred to the point of deformity.

Gameplay
Everything felt right, controls are spot on. Crafting is rewarding and fun, needs more items. Bosses range from pushovers to challenging and are well paced, need more bosses. Dungeons and puzzles were engaging, need more of those as well. Pet system very well implemented.

General Ideas for story mode
Would love to see more functionality in Startington, maybe a basic shop and more npcs to interact with.

Secret areas are fun to look for, would love to see more of them.

I would like to see equipment sets, which would give you bonuses for wearing specific pieces of equipment together.

Trading system, this one is a no brainer, trading weapons and armor between players would make grouping more convenient.

Arcade mode:

General Feedback
A worthy challenge, offers hours of action packed gameplay, but lacks in persistence. Some quests are quite annoying and some features need to be added/fleshed out.

Gameplay
Some of the Perks seem useless. +25 max hp doesn't really feel like a substantial amount. A larger more varied selection of perks would go a long way.

Quests could use some balancing, "Evening the odds" was more difficult than its follow up quest and was generally hair pulling in nature.

Npcs seem useless after their first quest, each should have some purpose unlocked after their initial questlines, shops, passive buffs, perk unlocking, etc.

General Ideas for arcade mode
Pet system in arcade mode, Do it! It will add the persistence I feel the gamemode lacks currently and give purpose to the drops we loot aside from dumping to the shop.

Farming, I think I've heard rumor about a farming system being planned. In the arcade mode it could work in a similar way to harvest moon, each trip up the mountain counting as a day. You could buy seeds from a npc and water your plants daily then harvest them for various effects.

Conclusion
Its shaping up to be a great game and I'm glad to have a chance to try it out before its finished. Hopefully I wasn't too harsh of a critic, I do keep in mind that this is WIP and as such anything can change at anytime. Hopefully someone found this helpful.

Regards,
Fade "Danger" Dragontear

Last edited:

Deudeu

Green Slime
Gameplay
Some of the Perks seem useless. +25 max hp doesn't really feel like a substantial amount. A larger more varied selection of perks would go a long way.

Quests could use some balancing, "Evening the odds" was more difficult than its follow up quest and was generally hair pulling in nature.

Npcs seem useless after their first quest, each should have some purpose unlocked after their initial questlines, shops, passive buffs, perk unlocking, etc.

General Ideas for arcade mode
Pet system in arcade mode, Do it! It will add the persistence I feel the gamemode lacks currently and give purpose to the drops we loot aside from dumping to the shop.

Farming, I think I've heard rumor about a farming system being planned. In the arcade mode it could work in a similar way to harvest moon, each trip up the mountain counting as a day. You could but seeds from a npc and water your plants daily then harvest them for various effects.

For the perks, imho +25 hp is by far the most usefull one coz it add a lot of cheap survivability (And T2 weapon are easilly dropped)
The main problem with having a purpose with the npcs is that it removes a lot of the roguelike experience (As our char build isn't random, so having pre-run stuff limits you on builds that worked and make it harder to min-max other builds (Like if you start with +50 matk why would you run 1h/2h ?)
I second that farming a la harvest moon, that would be superb :)
And for that pet thingy, at this moment if you add them, you'll have to chose between gold or pet experience so ... (but seems like if u could only feed you pets with harvest item it may be super awesome ?)

Dragontear

Green Slime
Thanks for giving feedback on my feedback.
I personally felt that 25 hp didn't really help me out alot, but maybe I'm just a noob :p
The arcade mode itself reminds me of Azure Dreams for the original playstation which some might describe as a roguelike game, it had a rich and varied town with lots of functionality. Sure some of the buildings in the town were just silly minigames, but it added to the feeling of depth, and gave motivation to climb higher and higher in the dungeon.

Pok

Rabby

Donald

Rabby
Thanks for giving feedback on my feedback.
I personally felt that 25 hp didn't really help me out alot, but maybe I'm just a noob :p
The arcade mode itself reminds me of Azure Dreams for the original playstation which some might describe as a roguelike game, it had a rich and varied town with lots of functionality. Sure some of the buildings in the town were just silly minigames, but it added to the feeling of depth, and gave motivation to climb higher and higher in the dungeon.
Well, I feel as arcade mode(and the rest of the game) is expanded more perks will be added. I found the +25hp extremely useful. But actually I usually start off with a wand, use a two hander til I have a skill point, then I pick a spell XD

Vipes

Green Slime
I do agree with the character portraits. They really don't fit at all with the artstyle, if anything they belong in an old DOS point 'n click.

They'd need to be pretty much drawn in a japanese style to fit the world, and their world sprites.

Aurophobia

Halloweed
I love most japanese art styles (minus most shoujo)
But for this game...I'd prob puke in my mouth a bit.

I think exchanging items would take a lot gameplay in Story Mode. But I would like to see something like that in Arcade. It's not fun picking up a lot of mage items, when you're melee-spec'ing

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Hahahah, I really liked the way you nicely explained why you wanted some improvement on Loretta and Ryu. :D Made my day and I have to agree with you, Loretta could be looking better. I think that there is some love coming her way soon as I know they've said that they are working on updating the pictures. :D