Grinding related suggestions

LuminousShot

Green Slime
I would like to make multiple small suggestions in here, even though the guide says there should be a single thread for each.
However, the main point, which I'd like to bring up in this thread, is that grinding is one of the biggest aspects of this game, and I found myself thinking that some things should be tinkered with to improve the grinding.

First, this game definitely needs a kill counter in the monster section. At least in my opinion.
Second, there shouldn't be too many occassions where loot can't possibly drop. For example, when you kill a boss for the first time and know he won't drop anything of interest, or you kill tons of smaller monsters in the arena without drops, only to go farming the same monsters later.
Third, maybe add some really rare things into the game. Like, absolutely rare random loot that can drop from any source, or special versions of enemies that have a really high chance of dropping their loot, while only having a 1 in 100 spawn chance or the likes.

The game lives off these unexpected events, and if it gets too repetetive, it becomes boring.
Honestly, the grinding in this game feels nice, but I feel it could be better. This is coming from someone who just spent almost 3 hours grinding guardians in one room for a card, unsuccessfully so, but didn't hate it.

LuminousShot

Green Slime
These are already in game as Elite Monsters (but the chances aren't super-high anyway).

Yeah, they already feel too common imo. It would be nice if there were monsters that are actually rare. As in so rare, it's not unlikely you find the card before finding one of them. And if you find one of those rare monsters, you go, hey, maybe I'm lucky and it drops the card/item I'm farming.

A monster counter will make it into the game at one point without doubt (it's even counted in the background currently). EDIT: KoBeWi beat me :'(

We have on our radar to perhaps do some other changes as well. One interesting suggestion relating to this topic is the following, which you might largely agree with:

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/breaking-up-quests-codex-improving-codex.3957/

Hm, yes this definitely looks interesting. I like staged unlocks :)

Edowyth

Green Slime
In-line with this, there's a small feature that would be really cool:

Monster-counter alerts

So, say this is your history:

- Played for 6 hours yesterday
- Saved and quit game
- Started game today
- Ground out some Jumpkins in the room with the priest
- Teleported to city
- Teleported to Haunted Forest
- Started grinding more Jumpkins in the room with the priest

You should have monster-counters for:

- Total killed for this save
- Total killed for this play session (since the game was last started)
- Total killed since you reset this area (room)

So, you might have the following alerts pop up all at once:

- Killed 1,000 Jumpkins! (global per save)
- You've slayed 750 Jumpkins today! (play session)
- 500 Jumpkins without a rest? (without leaving the room)
- Killed 10,000 enemies (global per save)
- 1000 enemies today! (play session)
- 600 enemies without a rest (without leaving the room)

All in little boxes like when you get loot on the left hand side of the screen (maybe pop them up on the right hand side). Mostly this is a suggestion from one of the FFs that I played a while back ... they'd have multipliers that caused different things to happen once you killed so many creatures in a given room, so these numbers would pop up periodically to tell you where you stood.

Now, hitting all 6 of the above might be a severe edge case, but it's some stuff that you can easily track which would be cool to see pop up from time to time. Having them displayed on the enemy-stats card (eventually) and global numbers available too would be pretty cool as well.

Anyway, just something to think about.

HexZyle

Boar
Stanley was a man who liked big numbers.
Especially big numbers that were displayed next to his name.
These were a means of giving Stanley a petty sense of accomplishment in what most people would believe was an incredibly dull and boring task.