Making skill more important in Arcade Mode.

Em0_oticon

Green Slime
Arcade Mode currently has a soft-cap that everyone on the Leaderboard will eventually reach if they try. This feels really bad when you've reached this soft-cap especially if your goal is improving your skills at the game. The most efficient player overall should be #1 on the Leaderboard.

Currently the game has a great ranking system for ranking damage and time for each room/floor. I think this works well and should stay the way that it is, however, additional bonuses should be added to both the time and damage portion of the overall rank for a floor. If you complete an entire floor with zero damage taken it gives you the same rank as if you took up to somewhere around 20% of your total HP. A no-hit bonus should be applied at the end of each floor if you have taken zero damage. This bonus should be pretty large in my opinion, maybe an additional 25% score for a truly perfect floor.

The time portion of the run is much harder to think of a good fix for, but I do think it's the most necessary thing to fix for the longevity of Arcade Mode (assuming the Leaderboard doesn't just get thrown out for being too much work to care about). My current idea for a bonus based on time is to have an additional multiplier based on how far ahead of the S-rank timer your room completion was. This should be a bonus that is dynamic and changes depending on your overall floor efficiency. Let's say you complete a room and you S-rank it five seconds faster than needed; this should give roughly a 5% bonus added to your score. If you complete five rooms in a row that are five seconds faster than the time needed for an S-rank you'd accumulate a 25% overall score bonus. But if you complete a room slower than the S-rank timer it starts counting backwards 1% per second. So if you accumulate a 50% bonus and then C-rank a single room you could potentially end up back to 0% bonus. The bonus doesn't have to fall in the negatives and probably shouldn't.

An additional bonus for completing every challenge room for the entire run would also be a really nice change. Currently challenge rooms are such a small bonus to your points that failing them can still lead to a better run than someone else purely based on RNG.

These changes wouldn't affect people that don't score hunt at all. You could still double S-rank every floor type and unlock everything with the same difficulty that you currently can, but the additional bonuses (specifically the timed bonus) would get rid of the soft-cap entirely. Oh and don't nerf Frosty. =P

I think I'm pretty much fully on board with the basic concepts of this idea. I talked to Em0 about this before he posted it, and it solves a lot of problems that clearly exist currently. (The main problems being that 0 damage and high speed are not fully rewarded...and that challenge rooms aren't rewarding enough.) Plus it'll add a new interesting/challenging aspect to arcade. You can't just rely on "Okay I can be a wuss in this room and S the other rooms so I still keep my rank" because higher time bonuses will be significant.

An important thing that Em0 didn't mention is the incredible value this has from a balancing perspective. With this system, it becomes much more clear which builds are the skillful "meta" and which builds are cheesy and OP. This is the main reason that I said I'd be willing to shut up about frosty if this idea gets implemented. I think previous occurrences (Boom as on example...and people who suddenly appear and go from not passing F4 to top 10 with frosty + chained lightening <_<) make it pretty obvious how...ridiculous frosty can be (I can still call him ridiculous :p). But with this scoring system it will make it very clear which things are truly unfair in the "competitive world". And it will provide further clarity on how frosty should be treated, as well as how other builds should be treated. For instance if frosty is still beating out the high skilled players, then that indicates that he should probably get reworked. I should point out that I think "meta" builds shouldn't be punished, but "OP" builds (basically the unbalanced ones) should be. Also, please let regular players seen the builds people use in the top 10...or even in general. Allow an option to hover over a person's name and pull out their build information.

As for the "don't nerf frosty" comment, I do still think that aggro-ing bosses is pretty ridiculous. lol. Maybe at least remove that much. But if it didn't happen before something like Em0's idea got implemented (assuming it does), I'd be able to survive.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
While on board with the idea, another solution I've voiced a couple times is continuous not discrete scores. By this, I mean that instead of giving score based on the rank which is based on the time/damage, instead base the score directly off the time/damage. Ranks can still function and would be positioned the same, but they are now purely for display or rank-based rewards (the S rank will always provide a nice threshold for instance). I'm just bringing awareness of this, feel free to shit on it. I just think it makes easier programming, but as we've already seen with cards, Teddy isn't afraid to do some heavy lifting (not that I was ever assuming he was pls don't hurt me sempai).

And as for the frosty, I get the feeling that in a better scoring system he'll only become a problem for mid-level players instead. Sort of the "This man bumped his arcade score with this one weird trick! Mid-tier Flamethrower players hate him!" variety.

Oh and a quick note (again, horribly backed up) - in your proposed system watch out for single, very uncommon jank rooms instead ruining your score, not just your health. Or me when I 1-shot most Fortress rooms :D