Question about the tone & depth of the story

Hypergrip

Green Slime
I recently stumbled across Grindea and am very excited about it. It reminds me a lot of the games I sunk hours into as a kid. I played the demo and it was fun so far.

One thing however I wonder about, and that's the (planned) tone & depth of the story. So far Grindea has preseted itself to me as a very happy and comical world with a LOT of puns. I like that, don't get me wrong. I love how my cloud of certain doom +1 has a friendly smile on its face. But thinking back at the beloved games of my childhood they all - while still being full of puns - explored some rather mature themes like sacrifice, loss, death of loved ones, the depressing atmosphere of countries at war, etc.

(Spoilers ahead)

In FF6 we see the world (almost) be destroyed, see a general grieving over his dead family, and one of the main characters attempting suicide. And in Secret of Mana we have have the girl's lover Dyluck sacrificing himself, as well as slaying the dragon spelling certain doom for the sprite (actually the whole sprite race).

These are just some of the many example I could bring up. Personally I think these things made playing those games a much "deeper" experience. The stories handled the "darker" themes really well, it gave depth to the world and its characters.

So my questions at this point are: How will this be in Secrets of Grindea? Will the story contain some more mature elements? DO the developers aim for an epic story with depth and serious character development, or should I just expect a pun-fest and be happy with that?

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
The story will become more mature (and epic) as you progress. I don't want to spoil too much, but we will explore deeper themes such as obsession, madness and even death along the way.. :)

Those (few) who read the screens in the Flying Fortress are already given a hint that this story is not 100% happy-go-lucky.

Pharabo

Green Slime
The screens in the Flying Fortress were awesome! They created such a great tension that you will encounter something very terrible and this damn Pecka scared the loot out of me :O The ending after the Gun-Dam fight was hilarious. Can't wait for more epic story and jokes.
More mad and even more cruel artifacts? Or Marino and the Amalet will team up and slaughter villages to obtain a rare "Human Card" :O

Rajunah

Green Slime
I really expecting the story not to be trowing apart.... i just like lore in every game, and wouldn't like to see this game became a Pokemon thing... don't get me wrong Pokemon had it charms, but i would like to see something more solid or deep.

Btw, i liked the Flying Fortress references... created to me the need to discovery the rest of the story. A flying fortress, full of technology in the middle of something that was sounding medieval was pretty strange and confusing, but i like it.