Simple Savefile Manager

AaronJY

Rabby
This is pretty cool. Nice to see helpful developers popping up already :)

Just a suggestion though: When you make an update and post the new version here, take some time to explain what the update is and the new features it brings. It's all well and good adding in helpful bits and bobs but I'd quite like to know when you do :D

AaronJY

Rabby
like this?
also added an all new version
Erm, not quite...something like this would suffice:

Update #3

New features
  • Space rockets: Use space rockets to fly about the place
  • Door keys: Unlock your door with the new door key item which can be obtained by flying your space rocket backwards
  • MP3 Player: Support for playing your own music has arrived!
Bug fixes
  • The application no longer crashes when entering profanity in the input window
  • The application window no longer turns purple randomly

Obviously the "new features" and "bug fixes" items that I've given are completely bogus, but you should get the idea. It just lets people know exactly what changes have been made.

Last edited:

AaronJY

Rabby
Could someone test if it also works on 32-bit Systems
I'm currently running a 64-bit Windows version so I can't tell you this for certain, but I'm pretty confident that if users install a 32-bit version of 7Zip on their machine (which will be stored under "C:\Program Files (x86)\") your program won't pick it up. Make sure you do a programmed scan for 7Zip in both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" if they're on a 64-bit machine.

I notice you're currently using the system() method a lot in order to avoid writing C++ code. That's fine if you're just starting out, but if you really want to learn from what you're writing you should focus on doing things manually (or through pure C++ code) instead of relying on passing batch code through to get things done.

One other thing while I'm making suggestions: make sure you style your code. It's better to start drilling this into your head now rather than later before you start picking up bad habits. Your un-styled code is another coder's worst nightmare because reading unfamiliar code that's all over the place just screws with you. A quick Google search yielded the following page that gives some pointers on how to style your C++ code properly (http://geosoft.no/development/cppstyle.html).

Finally, kudos to you. C++ isn't the starting language of choice for many people due to the popular belief that it's towards the end of the spectrum as far as difficulty goes. You've done a good job :p

Yuuki

Boar
i tried to replace 7zip with zip libarys but couldnt get them to work yet.
I also tried to get the paths via get env but i couldnt figure out how to use this further yet, also i will read more into the link you posted once my written exams are over.

Edit 7zip is always in program files. only steam wouldnt be found on an 32bit system since is specified the path as Program Files(x86).

Last edited:

AaronJY

Rabby
i tried to replace 7zip with zip libarys but couldnt get them to work yet.
And i will read more into the link once i my written exams are over
Yeah, using a library would be a better method. Here's one I've found through a quick Google search: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/7530/Zip-Utils-clean-elegant-simple-C-Win

It actually tells you on the page how to use it in your project:
To add Zip functionality to your code, add the file zip.cpp to your project, and #include "zip.h" to your source code.

Yuuki

Boar
this is the one i tried but couldnt get it to work how i wanted, yet.
7zip also others there libarys but this as of now a litle bit much for me in term of finding the libs i need with the help of the documentation.

AaronJY

Rabby
Yeah, poorly documented libraries make me cry. If you're going to go through the process of making a useful library the least you can do is document it properly, right? xD

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Nope, if i loose my save i just have a reason to play a new round so i'm not really afraid of that happening...
Maybe i'll make use of it when the game is bigger and losing your save is more of a problem for me.