Twitch / Piracy

res7less

Jumpkin
So, I was looking for a SoG stream on Twitch the other day and there was only one guy streaming. I started watching the stream and quickly noticed that the guy was as charismatic as a pile of garbage, but since he was the only one streaming SoG, I kept watching. Then, I suddenly noticed, that he was getting the piracy messages during loading screens. Many players might not know, but since I'm one of the translators, I do know they exist since I translated them. The devs must have found a way to check if the copy is legit or not, and if the latter is the case, he keeps getting different messages during loading screens instead of the usual game tips.

Ok, so what the hell. Not only did this asshole get himself an illegal copy of the game, he also had the gall to stream it on Twitch for all the world to see (ok, he had only like 15 viewers, but still) AND he kept complaining about what kind of idiots the devs must be during every second dialogue. Such behavior just makes me fucking furious! At least get yourself a legit copy, you moron, so you have the right to complain at all!

Sorry for all the cursing, but that just made me mad. People spend hours, days, weeks of their lives and pieces of their souls and creativity to create something beautiful and some backwater dimwit, who lacks the intelligence to appreciate the result, doesn't even bother to spend some money for the artists' work. Jeez, that's just sad.

So, the point of this thread was actually to ask if it's possible to get people banned on Twitch if it can be proven that they stream playing a pirate copy of a game.

Thalldor

Green Slime
So, I was looking for a SoG stream on Twitch the other day and there was only one guy streaming. I started watching the stream and quickly noticed that the guy was as charismatic as a pile of garbage, but since he was the only one streaming SoG, I kept watching. Then, I suddenly noticed, that he was getting the piracy messages during loading screens. Many players might not know, but since I'm one of the translators, I do know they exist since I translated them. The devs must have found a way to check if the copy is legit or not, and if the latter is the case, he keeps getting different messages during loading screens instead of the usual game tips.

Ok, so what the hell. Not only did this asshole get himself an illegal copy of the game, he also had the gall to stream it on Twitch for all the world to see (ok, he had only like 15 viewers, but still) AND he kept complaining about what kind of idiots the devs must be during every second dialogue. Such behavior just makes me fucking furious! At least get yourself a legit copy, you moron, so you have the right to complain at all!

Sorry for all the cursing, but that just made me mad. People spend hours, days, weeks of their lives and pieces of their souls and creativity to create something beautiful and some backwater dimwit, who lacks the intelligence to appreciate the result, doesn't even bother to spend some money for the artists' work. Jeez, that's just sad.

So, the point of this thread was actually to ask if it's possible to get people banned on Twitch if it can be proven that they stream playing a pirate copy of a game.

If you have his steam ID and actual proof of his steam the developers MAY be able to ban his steam id and if he is playing it through steam the developers can ban his his account from playing that specific game. I don't think they can VAC ban unless these people had that privilege. Yes, he should be dealt with but there is only so much you can do about piracy although devs can take legal action against this guy but USUALLY its not worth it but I'm just some guy respond to your post using logic so everything I just said could be invalid so if you don't want to take everything I just said you can wait for a developer to respond or a moderator regarding this.

Thank you for your time!

--Green Slime

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
On the bright side, if he hated the game I guess it's good that he didn't pay for it!

Playing pirated games are against Twitch rules of conduct, and we could technically file a DMCA take-down notice, but... we'll just spend that time focusing on the game to make it better for those who do like it, instead :p

We appreciate the concern though! :D

Jasquan

Green Slime
Playing pirated games are against Twitch rules of conduct, and we could technically file a DMCA take-down notice, but... we'll just spend that time focusing on the game to make it better for those who do like it, instead :p
Is the reason you're called Teddy because you're really soft about stuff like that? :p
*goes back to corner*

res7less

Jumpkin
On the bright side, if he hated the game I guess it's good that he didn't pay for it!
You didn't experience his behavior first hand, that had nothing to do with liking or disliking. If he didn't like it, he shouldn't have played it. Since he didn't pay for it, he could have stopped playing anytime, but he didn't - instead he chose to play and complain. It was like watching a pig eating a chocolate cake.

we'll just spend that time focusing on the game to make it better for those who do like it, instead
Difficult to stay mad with so much positive energy :) I bow to thee, sir.

Thalldor

Green Slime
You didn't experience his behavior first hand, that had nothing to do with liking or disliking. If he didn't like it, he shouldn't have played it. Since he didn't pay for it, he could have stopped playing anytime, but he didn't - instead he chose to play and complain. It was like watching a pig eating a chocolate cake.

Difficult to stay mad with so much positive energy :) I bow to thee, sir.

Ah, the Teddy Bear has spoken. I do agree with his reasoning because if he had to do this for ever person who pirates the game it would take quite a long time since people will pirate any game despite what it might be or how much it may cost.

Ardeof

Rabby

Quite often game trailers do *not* give the game justice. It is always featured in a very specific scenario on very specific hardware, and does little to represent what the whole community will experience. Look at ARK:Survival Evolved. It was/is a game that stuttered even on a Titan X, and yet the trailer itself looked seamless. If the game had not become as popular as it did, I doubt it'd have ever fixed those kinds of problems. Pirating games is a defense mechanism, because many developers have stopped giving a shit about the community. "Let's make as pretty of a trailer as possible, pre-release our game as soon as possible, and that should mean a lot of purchases".

While SoG has had a couple of quirks even in the stable releases, it's felt like and seemed like a game in progress. ARK was a steaming pile of shit when it was pre-released, and did not belong in that kind of listing at all. It was a "still in concept" game that shouldn't have been pre-released as early as it was. ARK devs simply wanted to get attention from Jurassic World fans and all that hubbub.

In case you hadn't noticed, I pretty much chose SoG over ARK. ARK will be one of those games I get later on when it's on a 50%+ sale, because I dislike the devs quite heavily.