Feedback for optional quests

Ryan D

Green Slime
Hey SOG team! I just wanted to start by saying that your game is absolutely amazing, idea amazing, and execution seems on point so far! (except your forum's sign-up needs fixing; move off xenforo, it feels amateur)

So I wanted to start feedback with the idea of treasure maps - they are really cool, but I felt like extremely pointless both from the standpoint of the rewards (placeholders?), and I all that I had to google the answers (i dont think anyone wouldnt have - catch me if i'm wrong here). Maybe it's just not a great idea? Or maybe make it a mandatory questline for something greater? I see the mechanic shouldn't be wasted, but it's hard to reason about.

Edit: treasure map google bit is from the nearly impossible one; i like the ff7 direction, just thought it could use something with more progression (i'm not the one to say what 'something' is)

Secondly, and less importantly, I feel that there should be more exploration? Total bias here, and maybe the treasure maps were trying to add to this, but everything is rather linear; every dungeon has been point a -> point b -> piont c, etc; so possibly a secret/optional area in each dungeon where you have to kill X amount to gain something? Or perhaps to alleviate some of the grinding in each zone to have some dedicated area that spawns all the monters? Not fond of it, but whatever i'm not the designer :p hope this helps!

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I never Googled the maps. I thought was quite fun trying to figure them all out. As for exploration, I like that areas are quite liner, as it's a nice change from all the open-world games there are these days. Everything is small, polished and neat, and everything has a purpose (or will do in the future). Large explorable areas aren't what I think the game would fit with :p

A lot of the treasure rewards are housing items, but the housing system is simply yet to be implemented. They've done a lot of work on it and there have been some prototypes published, but I think it just needs to be refined a bit more before it's added in.

Many areas of the game do have a couple secret chests or a puzzle off to the side, there just doesn't happen to be many (if any) in dungeons. Spawning areas also usually feature different compositions of enemies with one having all of them.

Ryan D

Green Slime
I never Googled the maps. I thought was quite fun trying to figure them all out. As for exploration, I like that areas are quite liner, as it's a nice change from all the open-world games there are these days. Everything is small, polished and neat, and everything has a purpose (or will do in the future).

That's great! I am happy for you.

Large explorable areas aren't what I think the game would fit with :p

Yup. your reply was truly heroic. Let's chat some more sometime

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The aim of discussion here is for game related ideas, bugs, content and feedback to be furthered and for everyone to come out of it a slightly better person. If your replies are just going to boil down to sarcastic insults rather than constructive discussion, don't reply at all.

Pootercat

Green Slime
I too did not google where the treasures where. I feel if you google the answer you are taking away from the experience the game is giving. Likewise with the puzzles and phase rooms in mount bloom, some were hard but I sat there retrying over and over until I got it. However, I do agree that rewards were quite lack luster in terms of stats. I am excited for housing to be implemented so I can use some of the decorations that came from them.

Ryan D

Green Slime
The aim of discussion here is for game related ideas, bugs, content and feedback to be furthered and for everyone to come out of it a slightly better person. If your replies are just going to boil down to sarcastic insults rather than constructive discussion, don't reply at all.

Sure, but my feedback is about the concepts. I knew there were going to be people poking about how they did not use google, and that's why I just said 'catch me if i'm wrong'. I don't doubt people did them without google, it's semantic.

You attempt to invalidate my feedback with your 'I did it!', which I was not happy about. Primarily, you opened the door to similar posts.

This is what you should have posted, if you did not want to invalidate the feedback:

A lot of the treasure rewards are housing items, but the housing system is simply yet to be implemented. They've done a lot of work on it and there have been some prototypes published, but I think it just needs to be refined a bit more before it's added in.

And to respectfully reply to this, that's something to look forward to. Unless there's going to be hundreds of treasure maps, which would take quite a lot of effort on the designer's behalf (which I don't doubt their talent, but possibly something that should be worked on later). Granted, let's drop the treasure map talk then.

Also, Yes I know that there are spawning zones, but *secret* or *explorable* is they key point, my post was directed to developers. This game is very similar to a game I started to develop at the age of 12 (flash actionscript, hah), and its a very nostalgic and amazing feeling to play what I never finished.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The reason I replied with the "I did it"-like post is because this topic has never been brought up on the forums. I understand it sounds childish, but, even having been here for a over a year, I don't think I've seen the topic of Googling the maps (or using guides of any sort) ever brought up before.

As much as I could've used this as a point, I have no idea whether people have just kept it under their noses instead of posting about it, and therefore the only logical reply was to point out that I hadn't, seen as I can't vouch for anyone else. And as much as it may be semantic, if no-one's said that people haven't been Googling maps, people have just as much reason to assume everyone would have than wouldn't have.

Anyway, the devs haven't updated the treasure maps in god knows how long, but since they can be found in areas up to the pumpkin woods, I would assume they have quite a few more to add, and if they continue at the same amount per area, I think there may end up being about 100 maps. That feels overly excessive to me, and having that many to figure out would most definitely lead me to Googling a lot of them.