Suggestion - Proficiency skills

mydrizzle

Green Slime
I've thought about this but this could be a major change in the game also wich would be "proficiency skills/levels"
Woodcutting,mining,alchemy,cooking, carpentry etc.

This will also relate to this post of your functional house / upgrading your house.

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/functional-house-item-suggestions.595/

You need to gather all these "raw materials" and recraft them in "materials"
Iron bars, lumber, cloth etc.

The raw materials will be generated randomly on the map, but the chance of being generated is small.
This effect would make a huge impact, because you will have tons of new recipe and new things to do.

one side effect that i also think is how you going to balance the generation of raw materials

Each proficiency has a little boost

for example:
Woodcutting : little increase in crit chance
Mining: little increase in strenght
cooking: gives little increase in health

The proficiency levels are the requirements to do certain gathering.

Example:
Mining lvl 1 you can mine copper/tin/iron, but you cant mine silver wich would be lvl2 but its only a slight chance you will succed and if y0u fail you will just get stones (for building your house or something).

there will be ofcourse lots of things on proficiency anybody can expand this idea?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I've never had a problem with professions before but I don't know if I want them in SoG. Professions can be a great way to increase the amount of hours a player has to put in to reach 100% on their save file but I don't think I want to put that much time into a single player game. I would rather farm the materials from monsters like you do with everything so far in the game because my character level will go up by me just playing the story so farming will be easier once I've completed the story. Having a profession that you have to spend seperate time on to level up don't really feel worth when I don't have a use for it after making my items. To give an exemple: In WoW you can use your professions to gain money by using the Auction House where you buy and sell stuff to real players. In a multiplayer game with a trading system money has a high value because if you're rich you don't have to spend as much time farming (time is money). In a single player game there is no shortcut to your desired items so money is pretty much useless to the player. So spending time on a profession that only has one use (to craft an item) that only I can use and benefit from does not sound inviting at all to me. If I could avoid having to spend 5-10 hours just swinging a pickaxe on a rock I would gladly do so. I've done enough pickaxe swinging in Runescape, Skyrim, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, etc. ;)

TLDR; I don't want professions in the game because I don't think it's worth spending those extra hours of gameplay to just level them up so that I can get my items. Killing stuff to get materials is enough for me.

Don't get this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or rude here. I'm just giving you my opinion on your suggestion and anyone can feel free to disagree with me. :)

Cheynas

Rabby
To me, professions is just a way to artificially inflate your game.

It works fine in MMOs because what you craft can always be sold to other players with other professions... but singleplayer professions doesn't exactly work as well.

That's not to say I didn't understand your point, I understand it completely.
But I think it'd be remedied better by adding new enemies, such as a treant, which you kill for wood and other building materials... rather than adding mining/chopping nodes

It IS Grindea after all.