[Visual/Gameplay] Multiplayer Berserker Style and Damage bug?

Elswor

Rabby
I've noticed something while using Berserker Style in multiplayer, the skill seems to be visually bugged for anyone but the host! Along with this, something seems wonky about the way damage is dealt on the host client versus non-host clients!

Some evidence (thanks to the powers of Sandboxie):
90587562cf.png

(Gold Charge)

While that ridiculous attack might not be reflective of the actual damage a non-host will deal, it does seem that non-hosts deal more damage than hosts!

Evidence:
fb529619f8.png

Now this could all just be in my head and have been caused by me launching the game in Sandboxie, directly from the steamapps/common/SecretsOfGrindea folder, but both characters are using the EXACT same setup. Even with the extra attack from Berserker Style the host character did not deal anywhere NEAR as much as the non-host.

Here's a single-player, fresh launch comparison of BOTH:
40293e7c76.png

Something does not add up, again, maybe its just me, but I have no idea what else could be factoring in when these were freshly launched tests, using the exact same character, build, gear-set and skills. Sandboxie essentially just clones data from my hard-drive into a sandbox, so there's no reason anything should be modified from it either.

Interestingly I had noticed occurrences where my attack speed/crit rate would continuously rise as if I was stacking a ton of Berserker buffs on top of each other (except it would never wear off until I reconnected). However, I was unable to replicate this on a local connection, I only ever noticed it while playing with a friend who lives far away from me (I live in the US, East Coast, they were on the West Coast), and that was back around v0.610. I haven't noticed it since.

I can also confirm it affects all charges of Berserker Style:
352d3df5a7.png

(Bronze/Silver Charge)

EDIT: Also for reference, here's what both characters were using:

Angel's Thirst
Winter's Guard
Spinsect Armor
Statue Mask
Summer Greaves
Two Lightning Gloves

Pet was level 10 with:
8% HP, 3% DMG, 4 SPD

Talents:
Lv.1 Adaptable
Max Tenacious
Max Last Stand
Max Surgeon
Max Brutality

Max Strength
Max Brawler
Max Second Wind
Max Backhander
Lv.1 Fencer

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Huh, that's very interesting and definitely something I'll look into! Maybe clients have been dealing 30 % more damage all along (quite the compensation for a bit of latency!) :eek:

If I can replicate this my guess is that some talent is applied multiple times or something...

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Ah, the damage bug was because of a loading issue with Angel's Thirst!

When a character loads, the equipment loads first, then the cards. Thus, when Angel's Thirst is equipped, the player always has 0 cards and gets no bonus damage.

When a character connects to the server, the card album is filled out before items get equipped, meaning that on the server, a newly connected player does receive the bonus damage!

So it wasn't the client doing too much damage, it was the server doing too little (and the client stats also being misinformed about its ATK due to the same loading bug)

Last edited:

Elswor

Rabby
Well, that explains everything then!

I had begun testing other weapons earlier today, and was sort of confused upon second glance. I had simply assumed it got quickly hotfixed or something :p. Never even occurred to me it could've been Angel's Thirst and how the game loads in data.

I didn't even realize I might have been dealing too little damage.

Thanks for the insight Teddy! :D

Ignitehawk

Green Slime
This is somewhat related, so I'm going to post in this thread: while playing with a friend online (he was hosting), and using the Berserker Style buff, I noticed myself being semi-permanently buffed to extreme attack speeds. By the end of our play-session, I had hit a whopping 235% attack speed without applying any buffs at all.

I have a sinking suspicion that triggering an event or some other game-pausing occurrence while under the attack-speed-boosting effects of Berserker Style + hitting enemies causes the speed buff to get stuck to your character. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that might have been what caused it.

As an aside, I was stacking attack speed buffs on equipment, but before I noticed the drastic permanent increase, my attack speed was only around 150% when I wasn't stacking Berserker Style's effect.