[Suggestion] Highlighting/Colouring and Capitalization of Words

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
So after hundreds of hours poured into the late game I decided to start a new character for the Story mode.
And there is something bugging me with the way characters talk. Let's take a look at some examples I recently posted in the "Big SPELLING MISTAKES" Thread.
teleport plates.PNG collector.PNG

Nothing seems too worrying, right? In Secrets of Grindea there is a minor problem with nouns. Sometimes they are written in capital letters and sometimes not. In the last picture; Is the 'Collector' a name for the job of someone collecting? Or the first picture. Is the 'Teleport Plate' a generic item, is "Teleport Plate" it's name, or is it to emphasise?

I had a small conversation with Vilya and Teddy and asked them, why there is a colouring system in SoG for some things, but it isn't always used and the short answer is: readability. If everything was coloured to highlight according to the ingame "rules" (which can be found a little further down) then most dialogue would be a huge rainbow mess.

Or as Teddy put it:
Teddy said:
Often the colors are used for emphasis, like red being bad news, etc.
The main purpose isn't exactly to have every word of a certain category color coded, but rather to highlight important things

There are some things that I, as a non native speaker of the english language, do/did not know and will propably put here and it might "wrong" for example I put this picture as a spelling error in the above mentioned thread.
old world.PNG

I was thinking that this was erroneous capitalization of words while Teddy tought me that "Periods and Events" should be capitalized as proper nouns.

TL;DR
I'll be going through the game looking at text with a focus on colouring and emphasis and try to improve the
comprehensiveness. You can help by posting text passages and by discussing if certain text should be changed and if this would improve the same.
Two guidelines:
  1. Readibilty comes first - no rainbow chaos
  2. Spelling mistakes have their own thread HERE

General Colour Coding
Red: Enemies
Blue: Characters
Purple: Places
Yellow: Items, Skills and other

Own

Developing a solid Action RPG takes a long time, and more than a handful of late hours. For a few bucks you can help us stay awake by purchasing this lovely piece of high fashion! It won't help you beat the game, but you'll look totally rad and you can rest peacefully knowing you've provided us with caffeine for yet another late night of furious coding and elegant pixel artistry! Disclaimer: Seriously though - it's a hat. We made it so a small group of dedicated fans would have a way of throwing some extra cash at us during development. If that's you, then we've got the perfect hat for you right here! If not, hit the back button and experience Grindea dressed in a regular hat.

I just spent 12 hours on that, honest. :naniva:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I'll start simple.
The first Press A promt could/should be coloured blue, just as the "Start" has been.pressA.PNG pressAStart.PNGpressX.PNG

Also 'Press A' vs 'Press X-button'
Why not just X or X-Button?

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
SlimesAndRabbits.PNG
The first mention of enemies. They could be coloured red, but I don't really think it is necessary. Rabbits aren't even hostile. But i wanted to throw it out there anyway.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Who is 'we' in this context? It seems Luke is the only one knowing the player.
WhoWe.PNG
Also this sentence does something weird where it starts with "I felt smth, we did smth and then I did smth"
This problem could be solved by dropping the 'I' or changing the 'we' to an 'I'.
I recommend dropping the last 'I' and change the 'we' to an 'I'

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Yellow highlight for 'Ancient Temple'
Purple highlight for 'Pumpkin Woods'
woods.PNG

EDIT: I think those hightlights aren't that important as after this dialogue, the player will receive the quest popup which features all the quest details which are highlighted.

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Yellow highlight for 'Journal'
Maybe "Enemy" lower case?
journal.PNG

EDIT: I think that this particular piece should be highlighted as the character serves a teaching function and this would show the player that she has important things to say.

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Yellow highlight for 'perfect guard'
perfectCombo.PNG

EDIT: I think that this particular piece should be highlighted as the character serves a teaching function and this would show the player that she has important things to say.

Last edited:

Own

Yellow highlight for the 'I' to emphasise the bag bragging even more.
View attachment 2191

Seems unnecessary. You can say 'Good thing I taught them a lesson' cockily without being boasty by dragging out a word.

Maybe "Enemy" lower case?
View attachment 2205

It's talking about a menu, not an enemy. Capitalization is fine there.

Who is 'we' in this context? It seems Luke is the only one knowing the player.

We being his brother, who is right nearby, and his mother.

I gotta say, I'd much prefer it if too many text boxes didn't get words colored in. When everything has emphasis, nothing has emphasis and it tends to break up the reading flow when you stop to linger on a colored word.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Seems unnecessary. You can say 'Good thing I taught them a lesson' cockily without being boasty by dragging out a word.
But he didn't do anything.
I gotta say, I'd much prefer it if too many text boxes didn't get words colored in.
Maybe I should also write why sections should be highlighted in my opinion. And I don't plan on colouring everything. Just as Teddy and Vilya (and you) said: readability first.

Last edited: