Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

Own

Out of curiousity, @Vilya, why do you sprite-ify your artwork? It looks beautiful in it's natural form, spriting it up makes it lose a lot of detail.

04%2BFinished.png

05%2BSprite.png

You can barely see his earring at all, and the right side of the face is a jagged slope of pixels. :( The unfiltered portraits would look so much prettier.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Out of curiousity, @Vilya, why do you sprite-ify your artwork?
I really don't! I just shrink it to the size it'll appear in the game (small version), and sometimes try to clean up some of the mush that is created in the shrinking process.

The larger version is the one you'll see in the 200% zoom option, which takes all graphics from the 100% version and sizes 'em up. And that's why it looks "sprite-ified", because it's a really small picture zoomed in by 200%, causing the pixels to look much bigger. Unfortunately, that's just how our setup works - there's no way to add unique images to the 200% version, it's simply a deformed version of the 100% one.

(Though I have been making mockups before where I've used the original, unshrunk portraits next to 200% ingame graphics, and honestly, it doesn't look good. Everything else is so pixel-y and jagged, and there the portraits comes all smooth and stuff - looks like it belongs in a totally different game. So even if it was possible somehow, I think I prefer this - even with the lost details - because at least it fits in with the overall game style)

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JUNE 23, 2015
Portrait of a Dr. Jones :eek:

So right before entering the time travel area, you'll be exploring some sort of cave system with traces of some old civilization, right?

Well, a couple of days ago I thought that it'd be really cool to have some kind of adventurer type of guy appear there, and and other places with ruins & stuff (such as the desert). So I talked to the others about it and since they liked the idea I started working on his portrait!

And here it is:

Line Art (I stole the hat from Mr. Westwood of Evergrind farm ^o^)

The rest of the article can be found at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/06/portrait-of-dr-jones-o.html

JUNE 24, 2015
Old Man's House

Another background! This time it's the home of an old man taking care of two kids, who will become quite important to the storyline.. :)

Thankfully I believe the recording went fine this time around.. Phew :D

The finished room:
A video of Vilyas work progress can be found over at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/06/old-mans-house.html

JUNE 25, 2015
Portrait of a Mountain Man

Another portrait! This time it's the grown-up version of the Mountain Boy from a couple of months ago :)

Line Art

A video and more sketches can be found over at:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JUNE 26, 2015
The Small Things

Time for another of those posts with a bunch of smaller things!

In order to properly complete the Temple of Seasons Arcade Mode floors, you've commonly had to progress to the first room of the next area floor before being sent back by the Mayor, who is there waiting for you. So far we haven't added that yet, as we've been missing two maps until recently!

First, the transfer map between Temple of Seasons and Mt:Bloom:

[URL='http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sujawTb-Dys/VYbCHKY8l1I/AAAAAAAADpA/aW6p9Mkcyng/s1600/Bloom-Seasons-Transfer.png'] [/URL]

Then the first Mt:Bloom room, where the Mayor will await you:

More of those "small things" can be found over at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/06/the-small-things_26.html

Own

robes.png

Interesting. There's not been much gear devoted to mages in the realm of armor. :) Only the Shawl, which is the same amount of MATK as the Spectacles.

I've been hoping to see some basic mage armor sold in the store in Evergrind, since the Shawl itself is a very rare drop. Are these mage robes dropped from the Season Wizards, or sold in stores? And if not, maybe mages could get some token item for sale? :D Acolytes Robe, +10 MATK, +10 EP?

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Are these mage robes dropped from the Season Wizards, or sold in stores? And if not, maybe mages could get some token item for sale? :D Acolytes Robe, +10 MATK, +10 EP?
I'm not sure exactly where we'll put these yet, but we definitely want to add more items to the store so I think it's very possible at least one or two will end up there :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
TBH, you've got that thing the Lantern Jacks drop, and unless this also gives some added DEF it's gonna be pretty similar. Also, if you want to give a bit more variety for mages, give something else with EP regen! Unless the Autumn Mage hat gives that (and if it follows the pattern I assume it gives CSPD), it's currently only the Phase Boots. I mean you can't have too many items that give it as even the slightest increase in it has amazing effects, so if we're gonna add it in, possibly have it worse off in other stats? EG not as much defense, or a minusing in EP cap?

Finally (yet another brag about my mage build ^-^) if you're giving more variety to mages and my build is capable of taking out Winter without using my main attack once... I just win :3

Own

The Shawl is what the Lantern Jacks drop, mentioned in my post. It's the only mage armor in the game, currently.

You can afford to have store items that are slightly worse than drops / craftables, because people need at least basic gear for their builds - gear they shouldn't have to grind for a while to get unless they want slightly better than what the store provides.

As for EP regen, I'd honestly just be happy with mage-based EP regening talents. http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/i...alent-suggestion-thread.1065/page-3#post-9961 That can wait until after the skills are all put into place at gold charge, though. :)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
We're hoping to be able to add some more interesting item builds with the mage robes, and I'd like to see not just MATK but also stuff like pretty massive CSPD, MaxEP and EP Regen on some of them. Perhaps we should shuffle the DEF stat to stack it even more into the armor slot, and have little or no DEF on the mage robes to make the glass cannon mage tradeoff a bit more noticeable.

Right now there's a certain balance to melee builds dealing higher DPS since they are more unsafe, but ideally we'd like to see mages being able to deal similar damage with a similar safety tradeoff.

These robes aren't going to magically make mage builds super cool, but together with the upcoming spell changes and, as Own mentions, a batch of new talents I think we've got a good shot at getting there!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'd love to see some more mage variation ^-^ I do love that the winter mage hat gives +50 MATK and no DEF, so more stuff like that would be great... on a similar note, do we have anything like that for purely attack? We don't want to be forgetting our swordsmen here :p

Own

little or no DEF on the mage robes to make the glass cannon mage tradeoff a bit more noticeable.

How about some no DEF mage armor. Inspect Bikini Chainmail in the armory, have it offer to be sold for a decent price. 0 DEF, but a lot of +MATK, +EP regen and +EP. The perfect gear for the person who has a tank to take all the damage for them, or can avoid every hit.:D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
On the other hand, Mrs. Ferona over here is supposed to look cute in her cat-eared hoodie:

cute.png

And seen as I'll be the one who's using this bikini mail... no thanks. I'm not that much of a pervert :p

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
On the other hand, Mrs. Ferona over here is supposed to look cute in her cat-eared hoodie:

View attachment 759

And seen as I'll be the one who's using this bikini mail... no thanks. I'm not that much of a pervert :p
If visible armor was a thing then I would find it hilarious if the character was blurred out when you were wearing the chainmail bikini. XD