Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 21, 2015
Fae Fixing

Alright, the Fae all have portraits now! But wait - some things are still missing or needs to be fixed! To begin with, this guy here:

In the cutscene where he gets frozen, you might have noticed that he has bangs! But on his portrait, there are none?! So what do? Fix it, of course:

Also, we're replacing the random "this fae is too shocked to talk to you"-type of message without portraits that happens whenever you try to talk to any fae after the above mentioned cutscene. Instead of random fae and that random message, we'll use actual fae that you can talk to once you started or finished the Temple of Seasons!

Read more about the Fae Fixing over at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/fae-fixing.html

JULY 22, 2015
Some New Hairstyles!

In case the patch already went live, you might have noticed there's a bunch of new hairstyles in the game! And if it didn't, well, now you know...!

A lot of people asked why you can't have a character with no hair, so we decided to implement that for both males and females. In the future we might add more unisex hairstyles, but for now all the other ones are separate:

Female hairstyles to the left, male to the right

We'll keep adding new hairstyles every once in a while, so stay tuned for more! At the very least, we want to fill up all the currently locked slots.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 23, 2015
The Ambassador's House F1

Today it's time to create the first floor of the Ambassador's House! This floor will only be available in the present, so I only had to do the ruined version of it.

The painting is supposed to be of the Ambassador himself, so when I make the portrait I'm gonna make sure the painting and portrait resemble each other. That, however, is something I'll save for another blog post!

JULY 24, 2015
The Ancient Guards

So in the Time Travel area, there will be a bunch of guards, like in Evergrind City. To refresh your memory, here's the portrait of the Evergrind guards:

We wanted the ancient guards to be similar looking, as the guards are the most generic characters we have in the game (seeing as they all use the same portrait & sprite). Therefore, I'll just be editing this portrait, rather than making a completely new one!

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/the-ancient-guards.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 27, 2015
Mondays & Meetings

Major Story Spoilers

"So basically, Mondays seem to have become our official meeting day. As in where we do a lot of planning, and make sure everything is progressing the right way. This Monday was a regular workday, but last Monday, we actually had another meeting where we talked about how the whole Early Access thing was going, as well as our upcoming schedules.

Next up in Story Mode, you're gonna go home to give another artifact to your beloved father. As those of you who have read the dialogues may have noticed, the main character's mother has been mentioned a bit lately, but you haven't really gotten to know her yet. Well, all of this is gonna change soon.

We're actually planning to make a cutscene where you father tells about your mom and an important encouter they had with... a dragon?! I'm not gonna spoil too much about this, but needless to say, this is something that will keep Fred busy for quite a while." ~ Vilya

There are Major Story spoiler in the article. Continue on your own risk.
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/mondays-meetings.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 28, 2015
Small Additions & Fixes

Today we've been creating tags for each of the skills!

The tags we used & how we applied them to the Earth, Ice and Fire spells

The reason for this is that we've been planning to improve the current skill info box that appears on the left part of the menu. Currently it says something generic, and we had a bunch of ideas that we'd add a score system where we'd rank each skill based on how much DMG, EP-cost, and a bunch of other categories.

We crapped that, however, and instead we'll be showing a bunch of tags in this way:

The texts used here are ofc super WIP, copy-pasted in Photoshop XD

Infos about many more small fixes can be found over at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/small-additions-fixes.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 29, 2015
Charlotte

As I mentioned yesterday, your beloved mother Charlotte will soon appear in a cutscene/flashback, so obviously she needs a portrait!

Now, there is something interesting about this portrait that makes it a bit our of the ordinary. I'll spill that little secret tomorrow though, for now, enjoy this basic version:

Line Art

More on Vilya's work can be found over at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/charlotte.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 30, 2015
The Thing About Charlotte...

So, I told you there was something out of the ordinary with Charlotte's portrait, right? Well, here's the thing: she'll take on the appearance (color wise) of your main character!

While your dad remains static, your mom's skin- and haircolor will actually depend on how you designed your character. We thought this would make more sense than having two white people with black hair get a dark-skinned kid with pink hair, for instance.

So, this is how it's done! Basically, I made three 'basic' versions of charlotte, one light, one medium and one dark-skinned.

Do you really want more spoilers (and cool artwork)? Go pay a visit to Vilya's Blog:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/the-thing-about-charlotte.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
JULY 31, 2015
More Receptionists!

From one bunch of portraits to another! We've decided to make the receptionist of the arena play a similar role as the guards... That is, whenever there's a receptionist, they'll look similar to that one. Kind of like Nurse Joy from Pokémon, only we change it up a little with this ones appearance.

So, I went ahead and made two more variations of her, since we know we need at least 2 more that will appear as 'regular' NPCs later on:

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/more-receptionists.html

Enoen

Rabby
JULY 30, 2015
The Thing About Charlotte...

So, I told you there was something out of the ordinary with Charlotte's portrait, right? Well, here's the thing: she'll take on the appearance (color wise) of your main character!

While your dad remains static, your mom's skin- and haircolor will actually depend on how you designed your character. We thought this would make more sense than having two white people with black hair get a dark-skinned kid with pink hair, for instance.

So, this is how it's done! Basically, I made three 'basic' versions of charlotte, one light, one medium and one dark-skinned.

Do you really want more spoilers (and cool artwork)? Go pay a visit to Vilya's Blog:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/07/the-thing-about-charlotte.html
I was actually going to ask about that. It's actually the reason why I made my scarf red because I kind of thought it would be the mother's memento to her child.

I'm not sentimental I swear.

Seriously.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
AUGUST 04, 2015
Childhood Friend, All Grown Up

Time for your childhood friend to grow up and turn into a young woman! Not only does she have longer hair, she also carries a stylish (?!) fan to keep her cool in the damp underground cave where they live:

Line Art

AUGUST 05, 2015
Ah, the Ambassador. We've already taken a look at his fancy house (albeit in it's ruined state, after years of neglect). Needless to say, he's not a man to be trifled with, and he especially hates it when people lose the keys to his house!

Line Art
AUGUST 06, 2015
The Ambassador's Kid

And now, here's that good for nothing boy, the ambassador's son, who constantly disappoints his father by losing his beloved keys! How could he?!

;)

Line Art

Enoen

Rabby
Time travel. Time travel.

TIME TRAVEL?!

I'll let this slide but no seriously the artwork is amazing. I almost thought (Until I saw the older version) that maybe we were going to explore Ivy's past but I guess it's too soon and she is totally second to final boss material anyways. I can't wait to travel back in time.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
AUGUST 07, 2015
An Undead Mini-Boss

Hopefully, if I didn't hurt myself falling off a horse, I'll be returning home today, yay! Anyways, since this is the last portrait of this week, here's a bit of a different one. Instead of a NPC portrait, here's the portrait of a mini-boss!

(Yikes, getting all undead and stuff?!)

Line Art

Enoen

Rabby
AUGUST 07, 2015
An Undead Mini-Boss

Hopefully, if I didn't hurt myself falling off a horse, I'll be returning home today, yay! Anyways, since this is the last portrait of this week, here's a bit of a different one. Instead of a NPC portrait, here's the portrait of a mini-boss!

(Yikes, getting all undead and stuff?!)

Line Art
I feel like it's inappropriate for you to post hot undead chicks MrChoco. Wildly inappropriate.

With that said I love her. The art for this game is amazing.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
AUGUST 10, 2015
The Embassy

Vilya: I'm back home, safe and sound, and it's time to get back to work again!

Since I made a ton of portraits last week, I'll start this week with a background (though there's at least one more portrait to come this week, rest assured... There's a lot of people living in this mountain) :)

A video and other things can be found over at Vilya's work blog:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/08/the-embassy.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
AUGUST 11, 2015
New & Improved Translation Tool

Vilya: As I write this, Teddy is sitting next to me working on a new, improved version of the translation tool! I believe we've mentioned this a few times before in various places, but haven't gone into detail..

So, the new translation tool will have full Steam Workshop support, which means it'll be easier to create and manage translations - no more zipping and uploading through the forums, wohoo! It'll also be a lot easier to find translations, as it'll be done directly through the game client (and thanks to Steam Workshop, any updates made to the translations will be downloaded automatically).

Of course, browsing translations will need an interface of its own, and that's where I come in. Today me and Teddy sat down and discussed exactly what we need to show in said interface, creating this totally amazing sketch in the process:

The rest of this blog entry can be found if you click this link:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/08/new-improved-translation-tool.html

Own

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2015/08/those-gold-points.html

I gotta say, I'd like a combination of Option 2 and 3.

upload_2015-8-14_13-15-17.png

All skills are grayed out with a silver lock on them and a silhouette of a crystal is in the center of the lock. Put the crystal in, dink-dink-dink-dink. The first point is filled and four empty slots appear to the right of it. When you first get a golden point a golden lock with a crystal silhouette appears, which unlocks the rest of the bar the same way the silver lock unlocked the first half. Dink-dink-dink-dink-dink~.

Of course, this might be a little too complex. In which case I'm cool with 2 or 3. :p