Version 0.601a

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.601a - ¡Hola, soy Tedi!

Summary: Dear lord, this update is overdue! Not only did this whole thing take longer than I had hoped, it was also delayed more than a week due to Steam related issues (the translation tool wasn't associated with the game and thus we couldn't distribute it). Still, I think this was the best period in time to fix this stuff that we could've hoped for. /rant

The biggest thing about this update is, of course, the Steam Workshop support for translations. Anyone should now be able to follow these instructions to create their own translation!

Other than that, there is a slew of small balance changes and additions I've tinkered with while waiting for update on the tool release.

Anyway, onto the notes:

Additions
  • You can now use the Translation Suite to author fan translations (found in Steam library under tools)
  • Workshop translations can now be downloaded from within the game, or via the Workshop website
  • A save backup archiving system has been added, which should hopefully make it possible to salvage any future lost saves
  • An entry level magic wand has been added, and can be found in a chest in upper Pillar Mountains
  • The Mold Essence shop in Arcade Mode (talk to Bishop) has been added, letting you buy cosmetic stuff for Essence
  • Some new items (HATS) have been added to populate said shop
Changes
  • The card drop rates in Seasonne have been made more sensible
  • Submitting a cheat high score in Arcade Mode now puts you in Cheater Heaven instead of Cheater Hell (both are kinda bad since you die)
  • Nerfed pet damage bonus per level
  • Buffed pet attack/cast speed bonus per level
  • You can no longer chug health potions while at full HP
  • To avoid accidental skips, you must now hold down the Start or Esc button for a few moments before skipping a cutscene
  • The Boar Card now gives slightly less charge movespeed, but is multiplied separately (and thus better with multitasking talent)
  • There's now a chest with an apprentice rod (magic weapon) in the Arena waiting room
Bug Fixes
  • Opening the Card Album as a client now opens it on your own screen, rather than shoving it in the host's face!
  • The S-rank damage calculations for higher floors are now more accurate and less punishing
  • You can no longer run straight through an elite Yeti's ice spikes if they are on a non-default collision layer
  • Selling a style equipped item now removes it from the style slot
  • The pecko should no longer return to the heavens if burning while taking off
  • The pecko should no longer randomly stop attacking if kited too much
  • Client HP desyncs should occur less frequently now
  • The Arcade Mode Nurse should no longer throw a surprise party for the clients without inviting the host
Next Patch, 0.602: Fred has made a bunch of stuff for me to toy with now, so I can finally put in that notorious cutscene, and then move on to festival prep stuff. Next Frontline is probably going to be cutscene + a short main story miniquest involving an enemy type everybody knows and loves.

Own

The Toy Wand got added to your default Arcade equipment too, I see. Which is nice. :) That ought to make things a little easier on mages.

Whoa, 999 essence for an item? Nice! I was hoping I could get a cool vanity lightsaber, but that's nice too. Are these prices going to be reduced in the future?

As a random art critique: The Toy Wand looks a little too boring. It looks like a stick more than anything, unless that was intentional. The Toy Sword at least looks cute, and the branch big and heavy. When I think 'Toy Wand' I think a stick with a little piece of colored glass on the end of it, like a blue marble or something. :p I'm happy with the fact that it simply exists, though.

To avoid accidental skips, you must now hold down the Start or Esc button for a few moments before skipping a cutscene

Also a fan of this, but the '... To Skip' text seems a little more prominent now than it used to be. I think a menu option to disable 'Hold (...) To Skip' altogether would be nice, or having it fade after a few seconds. It's a little distracting in cutscenes.

You can no longer chug health potions while at full HP

RIP showing off at the end of Arcade video runs. <3 A welcome change, though!

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Now that I think of it, it would be nice to see the number of subscribers to the translation.

Edit:
And maybe translation update notes could be visible in-game as patch notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Own

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Whoa, 999 essence for an item? Nice! I was hoping I could get a cool vanity lightsaber, but that's nice too. Are these prices going to be reduced in the future?

Other kinds of items will be introduced for sure, so don't lose hope yet! I can't swear on my life, but I don't think the prices will be lowered. Rather, we'll fill out the gaps with new items to get a smoother curve of expensiveness :D

I think a menu option to disable 'Hold (...) To Skip' altogether would be nice, or having it fade after a few seconds.

Now that it's a bit more prominent so people spot it faster, letting it fade away after a while might be a good idea for sure.

When I think 'Toy Wand' I think a stick with a little piece of colored glass on the end of it, like a blue marble or something.

Fun trivia: It actually was exactly that in Fred's first sketch, but then he accidentally hid the marble in one frame and we were like "huh, maybe it's more in line with the other starter weapons"... that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess :D

Now that I think of it, it would be nice to see the number of subscribers to the translation.

Edit:
And maybe translation update notes could be visible in-game as patch notes.

After the system's gotten some use we'll probably do a little rundown on what can make it more solid!

A lot of stuff isn't exposed to the API though (i.e. not accessible via code), and I sadly think both things you mentioned belong to that category.

That's why we decided to make "view comments" and the "wanna vote?" popup open up the Steam Overlay directly into the Workshop item! It's not super pretty but it both saves us a lot of interface work and also gives the player full workshop access for commenting and voting (or even reporting).

Own

Fun trivia: It actually was exactly that in Fred's first sketch, but then he accidentally hid the marble in one frame and we were like "huh, maybe it's more in line with the other starter weapons"... that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess :D

Eeeeh... the toy sword actually looks like a toy sword you would buy, the branch actually looks like it could crack some skulls and the toy wand... looks like bent stick with no charm to it, personally. Like, "Why is this twig in a chest?" :p Looking at the three side by side in Arcade, the stick does look like the odd one out in terms of toy weapons.

It could just be me, though. :D Not really worth slapping a blue/green/whatever marble on the end of it now.

Oh, by the way, on an unrelated note - the dude who holds the new #1 Arcade score doesn't read a word of English. Had to use a translator to contact Pokesly and me, telling us he saw our video and used our build. Some sort of super Japanese gaming god.

It's pretty great when a game can be enjoyed by someone who doesn't understand a word of it. :D

Own

I think the two new chests don't contribute to completion %? Is that intentional?

Though you would have to be pretty blind to miss them. :p

Roemer

Green Slime
Heavy bug found:
When playing Arcade Multiplayer, when charging the Flamethrower the game crashes immediately on release. Happens every time, doesn't matter who is the host and who is the client. Not sure yet if it happens for other spells as well. Pls fix :(

Edit 1: Doesn't happen with LocusSwarm

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that it works for the host but all clients crash.

Last edited:

Own

Yep, I just verified it. Charging flamethrower results in a crash. Which is... odd. There's nothing in the patch notes about flamethrower.

Did you do some tinkering with it, Teddy? o_O

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
What, you guys have a problem with my creative flamethrower nerf??? o_O

That actually was a side effect of doing what we discussed in some other thread, where we talked about client responsiveness versus accuracy of client side events! I also talked with Fred about it some (since he plays multiplayer quite a bit), and he agreed that responsiveness was the most important thing.

So what's happening is basically that the client now runs an approximation of what it thinks should be happening when it releases the spell button. Mostly this will be what is actually happening on the server, but there is a chance that the results will differ. The more it lags, the higher the risk, but then again, the more it lags the more you expect minor desyncs, so...

I've patched in a hotfix that should fix the crash, and hopefully not introduce any new crashes :D

Loridel

Green Slime
Oh I love this game so far, I reminds me so much of my childhood. You guys are wonderful, keep up the amazing work and I love you all sooo much for making this if I had more money at the time of buying this I would have bought the largest package. Now off I go to play the game.

res7less

Jumpkin
Just found all this here, this is great! I would like to contribute by messing around with translations - I began with translating the menus into russian. Now russian partially has some long words, so... why can't I change the MaxLength and MaxWidth of the Text frame? Words would be shown out of frame occassionally.

Edit: Tried to test it and it looks like the interface font doesn't support cyrillic symbols. All I see are question marks. Hope a font for cyrillic letters will be implemented soon.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Just found all this here, this is great! I would like to contribute by messing around with translations - I began with translating the menus into russian. Now russian partially has some long words, so... why can't I change the MaxLength and MaxWidth of the Text frame? Words would be shown out of frame occassionally.

Edit: Tried to test it and it looks like the interface font doesn't support cyrillic symbols. All I see are question marks. Hope a font for cyrillic letters will be implemented soon.

You can write how long texts you want - the edges are there to show you where there will be overflow. Some parts of the GUI simply doesn't have any more room. The max width is there to help you understand roughly how much space you can work with.

The game supports cyrillic, but you must in the translation make sure to select the cyrillic alphabet (which should be automatic if you choose Russian or Ukranian as langauge) in the dialogue and misc text tool!

(Actually, it might be that the game looks at the dialogue files to gather alphabet information... so maybe if you haven't done so, you need to translate at least one dialogue)

res7less

Jumpkin
You can write how long texts you want - the edges are there to show you where there will be overflow. Some parts of the GUI simply doesn't have any more room. The max width is there to help you understand roughly how much space you can work with.

The game supports cyrillic, but you must in the translation make sure to select the cyrillic alphabet (which should be automatic if you choose Russian or Ukranian as langauge) in the dialogue and misc text tool!

(Actually, it might be that the game looks at the dialogue files to gather alphabet information... so maybe if you haven't done so, you need to translate at least one dialogue)

Thanks for the reply. I actually messed around a bit more now and managed to embed a proper font for SmallTitle (I picked Calibri, not sure if there might be copyright problems by just picking a font). The problem is though that some parts of the interface do not allow implementation of a subfont. For example if in the translation tool you go to Misc texts, the category Menus and for example the LocalID InGameMenu_Character_Name it simply shows N/A as subfont, so there is no way to embed a font for this ID in the fonts tab where Game Fonts can be selected. If the Mode is then set to Subfont it says NO SUBFONT AVAILABLE.
For the other Game Fonts like HugeTitle, or InMenuDescription embedding works, so I can test the asthetics of the font and translation in game.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
For cyrillic, I would recommend using the standard fonts, actually! That will let you translate everything, without building your own fonts.

The font builder tools are specifically for Korean, Chinese and Japanese, who also have a need of extra large fonts!

Again, I think a single translated dialogue should be enough to make the game switch to its cyrillic default fonts.

res7less

Jumpkin
For cyrillic, I would recommend using the standard fonts, actually! That will let you translate everything, without building your own fonts.

The font builder tools are specifically for Korean, Chinese and Japanese, who also have a need of extra large fonts!

Again, I think a single translated dialogue should be enough to make the game switch to its cyrillic default fonts.

That helped indeed, thanks! I'll remove the embedded fonts now since it works fine without (though the default spacing of Gothic MS for russian characters is terrible :p) This is so much fun, I hope I can go on without any problems. I noticed there is already a submitted translation for russian, but as far as I checked it was only for dialogues. I will try to translate all the other stuff like enemies, items, interface and so on.

On a side note: Great work with really everything on this game. I love it when developers put a lot of thought into what they're doing before actually going online with it. One noticed the love for details in every ever so little part in this game, the skill descriptions, the fact that fishing is possible, achievments, just everything. My hugest complements on all that, keep up the great work!

dtfyg

Green Slime
After playing through the game again I found a few minor bugs. 1. After you press a switch in the temple of seasons you can go through the wall. 2nd After you use dash even if you don't pass anything there's a image that suddenly appears and disappears 3. when your pets damage bonus levels up it still gives you 2% and 4th (I think this is a personal bug but just to make sure) When I was battling winter where his name should have been said "string not found!".

jica

Green Slime
Can you please add some command to restart skill point according to level? I just tried cheat /skillpoint to see gold ability for all skills but for future update i don't want to overpower like this.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Can you please add some command to restart skill point according to level? I just tried cheat /skillpoint to see gold ability for all skills but for future update i don't want to overpower like this.

/respec should bring it back to normal!