Version 0.612d

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Ah, that was the issue I think. Because of the way I did the resets, I managed to completely remove the quest altogether - as in, in the quest log, there is no festival quest. It's probably the conflict between being in the festival and needing to talk to dad to start the dragon cutscene (/dragonreset was the most recent one I did).

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Maybe we should add a card image for Toxic Tulip before the Stable update?

Yes, good catch!

Ah, that was the issue I think. Because of the way I did the resets, I managed to completely remove the quest altogether - as in, in the quest log, there is no festival quest. It's probably the conflict between being in the festival and needing to talk to dad to start the dragon cutscene (/dragonreset was the most recent one I did).

Ah, yeah, that's probably the issue! I guess he is destined to live there forever and ever :(

(Unless he somehow can reach into the fabric of the universe and copy some other world that isn't stuck in the festival, replace his own existence with that one and just... take it over :chicken:)

Own

• Added some items that can be purchased during and after the festival: 1h, 2h, 2h-magical, couple of hats, a shield and shoes
  • Added a new salesman NPC that appears during the festival

The new gear looks really cool. :) And I like that one of them costs over 20k, finally a proper moneysink. The Traveling Merchant is a neat idea, too. But it seems like he would be much more interesting if every 5-10 minutes in-game time he (outside of the festival) appeared at a random location from a list of possible locations in the game, instead of having his inventory dumped into the regular shops after the festival.

- Near the bee sign in Pillar Mountains.
- By the dock in East Evergrind.
- In daytime Evergrind where he is at the festival.
- Outside the graveyard.
- In the path behind Anita's house.
etc

Making him a semi-rare appearance you encounter randomly throughout the world with cool items would be kinda neat, and open up the possibility of him having some other powerful items in his inventory. Like a limited quantity (1-5) of various expensive petfood items that boost various stats, the selection and quantity different each time you find him.

Also, the traveling salesman appears to help people who are stuck on Black Ferrets, but there's two problems:

- Once you're in the BF fight, there's no getting out of it outside of saving and quitting, then reloading your save.
- There's no way to actually get gold if, for some reason, you're too low to buy anything.

Problem 1 is solved by spitting the player outside South HQ if they die 2-3 times, with a tooltip to check out the merchant. (He should probably get some ATK/DEF potions in his stock, too, if people are really that stuck to need them.)

Problem 2 is solved by opening up the arena during the festival, having the receptionist and guards say some of the enemies got loose in the waiting room when capturing them for future challenges, that the player is free to try and clean some of them up if they want. Spawn yetis, bomb presents and season knights in the room east of the receptionist area for the duration of the festival? That also lets people grind some levels if they need to.

Own

upload_2016-3-31_7-12-55.png

Extremely minor, but: 'for people who travel a lot.' A person travels a lot, people travel a lot.

... now that I think about it, I don't know why this is. Am I wrong? Hm. Maybe if I use other contexts...

He's a person who skips a lot. They're people who skip a lot.

She's a person who grinds a lot. They're people who grind a lot.

Anyone who knows grammar better than I do want to explain why English works this way? Google isn't helping.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Verb conjugation. Basically you take your base verb (forgotten the technical name for it), which in this case is "to travel". In Spanish, for the sake of variety, it's "viajar".

In English, you change the pronoun infront of the the verb as well as the verb ending. The thing is, many of the conjugations are the same, which is why it might get a little confusing:
  1. 1st person - I travel
  2. 2nd person - You travel
  3. 3rd person - He/She/It/One travels (one is formal, and we hardly ever use it, but I'll put it in anyway)
  4. 1st person plural - We travel
  5. 2nd person plural - You (plural you, as in "you lot") travel
  6. 3rd person plural - They travel
In Spanish, you only change the end of the verb, because there is usually no need for a prefix like in English. So you conjugate it into:
  1. 1st person - viajo
  2. 2nd person - viajas
  3. 3rd person - viaja
  4. 1st person plural - viajamos
  5. 2nd person plural - viajáis
  6. 3rd person plural - viajan
There's other conjugations, as well as a crap tonne of tenses to conjugate into. You'll probably have to ask someone else if you want to know more on them, but here's a page on www.wordreference.com which has all the conjugations of "viajar" for you.

For the examples you picked, you just happened to choose the odd one out in the English language, the 3rd person. In Spanish, they're all different, which might clear things up for you.

In case you want an odd verb in English, pick a common verb like "to be":
  1. I am
  2. You are
  3. He is
Etc.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
View attachment 1501

Extremely minor, but: 'for people who travel a lot.' A person travels a lot, people travel a lot.

... now that I think about it, I don't know why this is. Am I wrong? Hm. Maybe if I use other contexts...

He's a person who skips a lot. They're people who skip a lot.

She's a person who grinds a lot. They're people who grind a lot.

Anyone who knows grammar better than I do want to explain why English works this way? Google isn't helping.
Because the people that came up with the grammar rules for any language were all very weird people and they didn't give a damn about making sense! :chicken:

subaru313

Rabby
Added a new salesman NPC that appears during the festival

I LOVE him <3 TM.png @Vilya and @Fred Great work, the sprite is so cute :D

But it seems like he would be much more interesting if every 5-10 minutes in-game time he (outside of the festival) appeared at a random location from a list of possible locations in the game, instead of having his inventory dumped into the regular shops after the festival.
Totally agree with Own, it would be a waste to just have him there at the festival. I always thought that the game needs more NPCs you can buy from. If you don't want to have him move around the way Own suggest, let him appear again later in the story (pretty please :p)

While talking about merchant's I'd like to inquire about the weekly recap post from 2015/09/15 at the DevBlog.
You wrote that the Shady Merchant will be 'upgraded' the more stuff you sell and be able to sell sold stuff back to you.
I thought that was a brilliant idea. Is that still on your to-do-list?

Thanx for your hard work!

Last edited:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I LOVE him <3 View attachment 1503 @Vilya Great work, the sprite is so cute :D
Thanks, but Fred was the one who made the character sprite, I just made the carpet and edited some of the weapons (also made by Fred) into single sprite versions around him :D

While talking about merchant's I'd like to inquire about the weekly recap post from 2015/09/15 at the DevBlog.
You wrote that the Shady Merchant will be 'upgraded' the more stuff you sell and be able to sell sold stuff back to you.
I thought that was a brilliant idea. Is that still on your to-do-list?
Yes this is still something we want to do, we just need to implement the Accessory shop first.. Not sure when :)

Nya

Green Slime
After a 90 minute stream, I'm not disappointed. I will say I accidentally neglected a section because of a cooped up quest I had to do. :p But I'd say it was worth it in the long run.
CeRGWzzWQAAR6u8.jpg
Hi James, How did you get the Mushroom Hat?.? Hope you can help! Thanks :naniva:

Rdy

Green Slime

'People' refers to a plural. The simple answer is that it's an arbitrary rule when conjugating with singulars or plurals to conjugate the "opposite" for the sake of sentence clarity. It applies wide-spread to plurals, because most end with "s" to signify that they ARE plural. For example:

The cat travels. vs. The cat travel.
The cats travel. vs. The cats travels.

As far as I'm aware, in the singular case, it's only uncomfortable because it's not right, but in the plural case it creates an unnecessary repetition in a sound.

This is mostly unique to English due to the rather unorthodox method of conjugating verbs and plurals. Most languages that I've studied (for linguistic understanding, not fluency) typically have an article to designate plural groups AND methodical conjugation per pronoun. For example, in The G-Meister's post, he refers to viajar. A sentence that could be constructed would be El muchacho viaja. for third-person singular and Los muchachos viajan. for third-person plural. In this case, instead of using a completely different word for plural, the article itself changes to signify plural and modifies the noun appropriately to follow. The article can also be implied since the noun is modified to follow suit - you will never have 'el muchachos' or 'los muchacho'. Notice also that, since the 's' follows a vowel, it feels significantly less dense to speak as opposed to "cats travels."

Honestly more often than you'd think do weird rules boil down to "someone thought it sounded better this way" and now that's why we do it! English is weird.

navicannon

Green Slime
Can anyone help me, i can't find my reward from this quest is that crown or something ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Own

No, everyone fails it. The Cavelings are jerks. He says the big bird next to him is his chicken. You get the pet instead.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Yes, is skipped that one. So my progress will never become 100% if i failed that ?
You are meant to "fail" the quest. The Cavelings only trick people to do things for them so once you've completed their quest they come up with some excuse to avoid giving you your reward. Luckily they still give us something for completing their dirty work. In this quest you get the chicken pet instead of the promised reward since the Caveling claims you didn't complete his quest. This is all part of the story so it will count towards your progress. :)