Version 0.612d

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.612d - Sidequests

Summary:
This update adds a bunch of side content to Mt Bloom, including infuriating phase shift puzzles and a few sidequests!

Update Description

Side quests! Other side content! The cards now have effects!

Please note! If you've played the previous Frontline version, there's been a new little area added behind where Steve used to stand! Now it's a little crossroads leading into two different rooms.

Also, a bunch of improvements to the translation capabilities, especially for glyph heavy languages but also for other languages as well.

Below is a list of translation related changes:

• Bag's first hint can now be translated
  • Override boss names such as "The Zoo" can now be translated
  • Shop greetings fake-dialogues can now be translated (via Misc tool)
  • Remedi's jabbering during his quest can now be translated
  • The shop root menu options can now be translated (Buy, Sell, Talk etc.)
  • A whole bunch of new things can now be translated into Chinese/Japanese/Korean

Random new beta command: "/nosave" - prevents the game from saving (even when told to)

Proper patch notes:

Additions
  • Added a few quests to Mt Bloom
  • Added a couple of optional areas in Mt Bloom
  • Added a new pet!
Changes
  • Defeating a Larvacid now shortens the duration of its acid trail by a lot
  • After defeating the Power Flower, you must now patiently wait while watching the epic death animation before proceeding (sorry James)
  • All annoying stuff (poison, gas, etc) will despawn after Power Flower has been defeated
  • A small input buffer has been added to autoattacks, making chaining them easier and reducing the feeling of the game 'eating' inputs
  • Pressing the shield button together with a direction now has some timing leniency (you can turn the first shield frame)
  • The large Crystal Hat now requires 15 large crystals, down from 25! (It's a cool hat guys, come on)
  • Translations can now be subscribed to from outside the game, and they will be applied on startup
  • Almost all shop titles have been fancified a bit
  • Nerfed the Season Temple cards a bit
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed numerous issues related to displaying languages with custom fonts (such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
  • While doing the 'no health orb' challenge in Arcade Mode, the map won't display the health orb icon
  • Lantern Jacks no longer says weird stuff in chat when they fire projectiles at you!
  • The mirror puzzle in MtBloom will now refuse to rewind if one player stands inside the puzzle
  • When returning to a certain poisonous cavern after finishing it the first time, you no longer walk through the environment
  • Canceling a Spinsect spin with a knockup no longer makes them glide around all over the place
  • Titan's Throw no longer flies completely the wrong way in certain rooms
  • The Season Temple map marker is now displayed properly on the World Map
  • Using the Smash skill with certain weapons no longer looks super weird
  • You no longer get to keep Amalet and a certain batch of honey in your inventory after completing the related quests (though you'll still keep them if you already have them)
  • Tracking recipes no longer shows unknown ingredients
Patch 0.612b Hotfix

Changes
  • Luke was given a few lines of dialogue for the 'Crystal Clear'-quest
Bug Fixes
  • The vegetation outside the optional Trick Phasing lobby is now on the correct layer
  • Fixed some issues with multiplayer in the northern Trick Phasing room (with the sparks and rails)
  • Steve's pickaxe should no longer reappear after being picked up
  • Fixed a bunch of spelling errors
Patch 0.612c

Additions
  • Sounds have been added to Mt Bloom
Changes
  • Melyn Ros has been renamed to Tannie Hawk
  • Farmahmera has been renamed to Zhamla Meer
  • Changing your phase shift shape is now saved between sessions
  • Before his cutscene, Hagglox now always wants 1 more gold than the player talking to him has
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed a display issue with some of the elite suffixes
  • There's no longer a large mysterious collider in the poison crossroad room (Mt Bloom)
  • Clients can now change their phase shift shape as well!
  • The burning ground left behind after a Gold Charge Meteor no longer triggers Static Touch
  • Vilya no longer stabs people standing too close to her right after the Boss Intro ends
  • Beating the Power Flower in multiplayer no longer results in a softlock
Patch 0.612d

Additions
  • Added some items that can be purchased during and after the festival: 1h, 2h, 2h-magical, couple of hats, a shield and shoes
  • Added a new salesman NPC that appears during the festival
Bug Fixes
  • Pressing the Back button on an XBox controller while Steam isn't running no longer causes the game to crash
  • Having a Gift Shield in the style slot no longer overrides the mushroom spawning of the mushroom shield
  • The crystal chisel now looks more like a crystal chisel
  • Finishing the Crystal Clear quest should now untrack the crystal chisel
  • People should no longer be able to get stuck in the Evergrind festival forever

Next Patch, 0.650 Stable: I'll spend this week on bug fixes and sound implementation, followed by a final (for now) Mt Bloom patch and Stable merge!

Last edited:
What is this madness!? Already another patch?? With even more translation possibilities?? I guess this is great for everyone who just wants to play the darn game. But did you even think for just one second about us poor translators and linguists in your little attack of creative enthusiasm?! Now we have to pretend again that we're useful to the whole universe! I demand a patch stop for at least one galactic standard week, so we can do what we were born to do: absolutely nothing!

TL;DR:

U mad bros, keep it up!

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
So, I got the last item from phase puzzles in like... 10 minutes? Didn't get the other chests there though (yet).

The triple rail has a small camera problem. When you are waiting for in the stationary barrel, camera shows what is to the right, while the moving barrels come from the left. I think some clever camera works should move between right/left side, unless it's intended that way.

Also, the last rail with moving sparks is sort of... inconsistent. It's like you have to be lucky, because it's some times impossible to complete it if you entered the rail in "wrong time". Anyways, I just spammed the key until I reached the end.

Now, onto the remaining chests at this puzzle.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
HAHAHA!
GOT THEM ALL!
Took me only one and half hour.

It would take much much less time, if I didn't try this:
exaz4kj.jpg

It too me a while to realize the proper path. The problem is, it's totally possible to reach the lower pink barrel from the green one with spark. So I got there few times until I realized that it's impossible to go right from there. But when I got to this right plate, I discovered that if I went up from that rotating one, I would get the chest, skipping the right platform completely.
While it is possible, I totally don't recommend trying this. I was able to reach the rotating barrel only once per 20-30 tries. You have like, 3 frames to reach it? (I should get achievement for doing this)

That concludes the new phase puzzle. I agree that these were the most difficult and tricky ones. But they were extremely fun, instead of infuriating like you said (except trying that wrong path :mad: ). It's amazing how everything is synchronized and you have to phase almost in a one, very specific moment to succeed.

subaru313

Rabby
I think the Steve's pickaxe should disappear after you picked it up :)
upload_2016-3-23_22-37-48.png(yes, this was taken AFTER I finished the quest^^)
Also a little [visual]: when Larvacids die close to a wall the larva splashes all over the place, looking weird above the layer of the walls.
upload_2016-3-23_22-41-26.png

Liked the new sidequests a lot =)
Thanks for the quick update!

EDIT: Something went all wrong with the spoilers o_O

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-23_22-32-44.png
    upload_2016-3-23_22-32-44.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 2

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Ok, I think I did all the quests (didn't get that message in the bottle, but it might be not in game yet, right?). I like the new pet :p

I was able to complete the new poison room without pickaxe. The trick is to break some of the crystals and then return out of poison to get some time. Did it with poison mask though, so it seems to be just another way to do this. If you really want it to require pickaxe, make the crystals re-grow or something XD

I noticed a strange thing also. I had the Burning Weapon talent and Lightning Glove. Seems like the lightning triggers only if your enemy burns. Not sure how would this work without talent then.
It was also really fun to herd the burning chicken with lightning striking it once in a while :D

JamesKT

Boar
After a 90 minute stream, I'm not disappointed. I will say I accidentally neglected a section because of a cooped up quest I had to do. :p But I'd say it was worth it in the long run.
CeRGWzzWQAAR6u8.jpg

res7less

Jumpkin
I was able to complete the new poison room without pickaxe. The trick is to break some of the crystals and then return out of poison to get some time. Did it with poison mask though, so it seems to be just another way to do this. If you really want it to require pickaxe, make the crystals re-grow or something XD
So that's what the mask and pickaxe are for! I acquired both much later and came through the room with brute force. My character build just happens to be based on autoattack speed with mirrior images, so I managed to get through the room with like 22 hp or so left on my second try. Also, I loved the new content! I'm not sure I got to see everything, but I probably did most of it. Great job, guys! Never stop doing what you're doing, since you're doing it great!

TsReaper

Boar
Uh...Actually what I'm thinking about is that, this version is called v0.612, so does it mean that the game is 61.2% completed? I thought it's only about 50%.
Since there are 5 temples right?

And will the new fishing achievement be added to steam too?

Last edited:

Own

The quest log is extremely spoileriffic for the Giant Crystal sidequest. Might wanna not expose all this stuff up front, reveal things step by step. :)

upload_2016-3-23_21-15-11.png

'Come far' -> 'Gone far'

upload_2016-3-23_21-16-47.png

has -> have

upload_2016-3-23_21-26-1.png

Poor kerning here? Just noticed. Happens with other cards where 'li' happens too.

upload_2016-3-23_21-28-7.png

The large Crystal Hat now requires 15 large crystals, down from 25! (It's a cool hat guys, come on)

Perhaps, but it's still the same exact stats as the blue slime helmet. :(

The bonus bounce area is really nice. :) The challenge and timing involved reminds me of my time in Maple Story, ages ago.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'm glad most of you seem to enjoy the update! Mount Bloom has been very time consuming, but hopefully players will appreciate the unusual amount of content (and we still have some ideas left).

The quest log is extremely spoileriffic for the Giant Crystal sidequest.

Damn, that's me messing up the quest settings! It's actually very few quests where I don't need to set the "hide locked objectives" flag, I've come to realize :D

Perhaps, but it's still the same exact stats as the blue slime helmet.

It's a cool hat guys! Yes, you're right, the stats suck. Maybe it can be so heavy that it's the first item ever to improve the mythical stat that is... concentration.

Or just give it a regular secondary stat, or just raise the DEF. I have this weird phobia of DEF-creep, even thought it's a stat that can be baselined at any point. I should be more worried about ASPD-creep, probably!

Uh...Actually what I'm thinking about is that, this version is called v0.612, so does it mean that the game is 61.2% completed? I thought it's only about 50%.

The numbers are sort of arbitrary, and we'll probably be adding 0.100 for each landmark update until release (making 0.7 finished temple 3, 0.8 finished temple 4, 0.9 finished temple 5, and 1.0 the full polished product)

Making the foundation for the game should probably also count as progress, after all :D

And will the new fishing achievement be added to steam too?

Yes, when it appears in the Stable version! It will be given automatically when you load your character if you get it before it's added to Steam.

Own

It's a cool hat guys! Yes, you're right, the stats suck. Maybe it can be so heavy that it's the first item ever to improve the mythical stat that is... concentration.

Or just give it a regular secondary stat, or just raise the DEF. I have this weird phobia of DEF-creep, even thought it's a stat that can be baselined at any point. I should be more worried about ASPD-creep, probably!

Stat creep is worth worrying about, but I worry it's poorly paced out. Ice Slimes are in Seasonne and their hat is incredibly easy to get. That's three areas before the Mt. Bloom, where the hat is long and grindy to get. Either defense is undervalued in Seasonne or overvalued Mt. Bloom. :p Things gotta scale.

Anything that gives nothing but defense does seem kind of dull. Special Effects are always interesting. Maybe +Perfect Block window when using Crystal Shield, for crystal synergy?

Own

All of these objects appear on top of the player up here.

upload_2016-3-24_6-22-6.png

The tiny mushroom cluster hat is now the Angler Fish Hat.

upload_2016-3-24_6-25-17.png

I was prompted to pay off Katarina's bill. I declined, suspecting there were two ways to do this side-quest, and went up into the Collector's HQ. Sure enough, Quentin had a [!] over his head. I closed the game without talking to him, made a copy of my save file, loaded it back up and went into Belmont's to pay off the tab.

I couldn't talk to Belmont at all. Trying to talk to him didn't even swing my sword. There's a glitch here.

upload_2016-3-24_6-34-45.png

The crystal chisel icon is the pickaxe, not a crystal chisel.

upload_2016-3-24_6-40-21.png

What is the Special Effect of Crystal Pumps? My movement doesn't seem to be changed at all in them. Edit: Oh. Vastly reduced movespeed while charging.

Also, 'Crystal' really should be an equipment set bonus. :) Crystal Shield, Crystal Pumps, Crystal Hat. Equipment sets could be a great way to keep old equipment still relevant as you progress through the game.

Last edited:

res7less

Jumpkin
The quest log is extremely spoileriffic for the Giant Crystal sidequest. Might wanna not expose all this stuff up front, reveal things step by step. :)
When being hinted towards someone who is good and breaking stuff, I was actually completely convinced that Luke would be the one smashing that thing. I was kinda disappointed it wasn't him. I think he should at least have a dialogue with some excuse for not being the crystal master blaster, which should also hint towards the stonecutter and her whereabouts.

Own

When being hinted towards someone who is good and breaking stuff, I was actually completely convinced that Luke would be the one smashing that thing. I was kinda disappointed it wasn't him. I think he should at least have a dialogue with some excuse for not being the crystal master blaster, which should also hint towards the stonecutter and her whereabouts.
Doesn't he already say before you go to Mt. Bloom that he's been given an S-Rank mission?

res7less

Jumpkin
Hmm...furthermore I noticed that among other new fishes in the items category, the Salmon was added. While fishing in Mt. Bloom I did the achievement, though and there was no salmon. Instead, there were a couple of Rock Fishes, which can also be caught in Pillar Mountains. Were the two drop zones of the fishes swapped? Because the Rock Fish's flavor text still states, that it's native to the Pillar Mountains.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Were the two drop zones of the fishes swapped? Because the Rock Fish's flavor text still states, that it's native to the Pillar Mountains.

Yes, they were swapped! All Rock Fishes in the player inventory should've become Salmon, even. I had completely forgotten that the Rock Fish description mentioned its location!