References in Secrets of Grindea

DCFWGrindea

Green Slime
From my gaming experience the treasure maps are similar to Runescape's treasure trail system, the essence of grindea tokens look something like the statuettes that came from a reward in Runescapes PvP system and the "nurse" in arcade mode comes across as Bloodborne-esque to me, with the hood, robes, and blood vial.

Ardeof

Rabby
"Twilight, the Greatest Love Story Ever Told" Really? Because a lot of people seem to disagree. Ever seen the quote/meme: "Still a better love story than Twilight."? It exists for a reason.

Anyway, onto some references. "Secrets of Grindea" could be a reference to the title: Secret of Mana, or it could also be a reference to Secrets of Asherah. Which would make sense, as Secrets of Asherah has been around almost as long as Secret of Mana and is Multiplayer.

Pernilla (In SoG School): Pernilla Wahlgren, a singer? I'm sure I could run into some more but i'll leave it at that :p

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
"Twilight, the Greatest Love Story Ever Told" Really? Because a lot of people seem to disagree. Ever seen the quote/meme: "Still a better love story than Twilight."? It exists for a reason.
I'm pretty sure there might be some sarcasm somewhere in that sentence. :p

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Lurifix is the name of one of the "Cavelings" (those smug bastards trying to act like they are different from the Frostlings). Anyways, Lurifix is something you call a person that seems to be up to no good but as a more positive thing. It's kind of hard to explain since Swedish doesn't always make sense but yeah. It's a reference to a Swedish nickname/saying about someone that seems to be up to no good but you say it to them in a more positive way rather than to make them feel bad. Don't question it, ok.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Some references I found:

The jingle that plays when you solve puzzle is similar to the one from Zelda games.

Rare Candy is an item in Pokemon games that increases Pokemon level by 1. Candy refers to Talent Orb as "rare candy" after her first quest and these two items play sort of similar role.

Peckos - for me they are a bit similar to enemies from Illusion of Gaia: youtu.be/wTpveWb82QA?t=81
Possibly a coincidence though.

Bouncing Ray Research Facility - first time when I went through it, I felt like it's one big reference to Aperture Science from Portal games. Melyn Ros is sort of similar to Cave Johnson, too (the way he speaks and all I actually read texts in the facility with Cave's voice in my head, lol).

Spinsect description in the menu - 'A true believer in "spin to win"'. It's a self-reference. Spin2win is a name of Arcade mode strategy/build that was posted on the forum and focuses on Whirlslash skill.

When hero plays the flute, Bag says: "I though all heroes can play on these things" - possible reference to Link from Zelda games, who played on ocarina.

Photon Redirection Relay a.k.a "barrels" - reference to Donkey Kong games, where barrels had similar mechanics: jumping into one and pressing button to shoot off.

"All aboard the Shift Lift" (from BRR Facility) - reference to "All aboard the Hype Train" meme, used to express major hype for something.

Yuuki

Boar
Bouncing Ray Research Facility - first time when I went through it, I felt like it's one big reference to Aperture Science from Portal games. Melyn Ros is sort of similar to Cave Johnson, too (the way he speaks and all I actually read texts in the facility with Cave's voice in my head, lol).
The cakes my friend.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Aren't Wedge Antilles and Biggs Darklighter pilots in Star Wars too? Or is that just a coincidence?
I'm pretty sure the Final Fantasy Biggs and Wedge are a reference to the Star Wars characters, actually :)

Own

upload_2016-11-21_6-9-39.png

Reference: Indiana Jones

upload_2016-11-21_6-13-33.png

Reference: Zelda (Link), Secret of Mana (Randi), Final Fantasy 6 (terra)

upload_2016-11-21_6-46-13.png

Reference: Magic Knight Rayearth

upload_2016-11-21_6-46-51.png

Reference: Tannie Hawke, Tony Hawk. Professional trick phaser / trick skateboarder.

upload_2016-11-21_6-47-55.png

Reference: Cross Code's Lea.

upload_2016-11-21_6-50-27.png

Reference: Phoenix Wright's Maya Fey. Did you know that her favorite food in the Japanese release was ramen/noodles? Explains why she's not munching hamburgers here.

upload_2016-11-21_6-55-49.png

Reference: Dr. Frankenstein's helper in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

upload_2016-11-21_6-58-7.png

Reference: Brandy, booze.

upload_2016-11-21_7-4-38.png

Reference: The most shameless joke in the game. :p Secret of Mana.

Own

I considered that, but fictional character references at least tend to resemble the character they're referencing in some way. SoG Rikku looks, acts, etc nothing like FF Rikku.

Eiroth

Rabby
Let's not give this guy a lightsaber, or we'll have three prequels on our hands...
asd.png

Last edited: