Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Starting today, I'm doing a series of posts on how we go about designing dungeons. You can read part 1 here:

Designing a Dungeon, Part 1

Keep in mind that this could be considered pretty spoiler heavy, as I'll show sketches and "blueprints" of what will eventually become the Temple of Seasons. So if you don't want to know anything about the layout or what rooms will be in the temple before playing, don't read these posts!

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Designing a Dungeon, Part 2

Keep in mind that this could be considered pretty spoiler heavy, as I'll show sketches and "blueprints" of what will eventually become the Temple of Seasons. So if you don't want to know anything about the layout or what rooms will be in the temple before playing, don't read these posts!

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Designing a Dungeon, Part 3

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Designing a Dungeon, Part 4

Quick Warning: These posts will feature details on what the Temple of Seasons could (and probably will) look like. If you want to experience the dungeon without knowing the layout beforehand, you should probably only read this post after it has been implemented and you've actually had a chance to play it!

And so, this ends the final part of the 'Designing a dungeon' series. Now you know our approach to the process!

Last edited:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Today I'm talking a bit about our new skill & talent point-"refund" (respec!) option that will be implemented into the game kind of soon! Also, more talents thanks to you guys! :D

Respeccing Skills and Talents

More on this will prolly appear later today in our weekly recap, as well.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
What's on the Floor?

Time to start refining those dungeon rooms! What I like to begin with when doing so is the very foundation of a room: the walls and floors. I like to start with this so much, that as a matter of fact, I finished the suggestion below way back when we hadn't even finished the winter area yet

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Trees and Bushes

Today I'll share some more WIPs of some props that will appear in the Temple of Seasons! I'll probably keep these posts kind of short, as the process is pretty much the same regardless of what I work on.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Bushes & Wall Decor

More WIPs today! Again very short and straight forward - there really isn't that much to this process!

Next week, there might not be many (or any!) updates, as I'm going away to visit my parents for a few days. Posts should be back either by the end of the week, or next Monday. See you then! :D

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Vilya is getting work done! There are two new Blog posts on her Blog Vilyaroo about the Lobby of the new Dungeon and about how trees are placed in SoG

The Lobby
Time to move on to one of the most important rooms of the dungeon: the lobby! This room will have all the seasons, and will serve as the connection point for many of the different parts of the dungeon.[...]

and

The Tree Editor

Certain things, such as trees, would be a bit annoying to add to the game one by one in Photoshop, as it doesn't allow sorting depending on which layer is closest to the 'camera'.[...]

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Improving the Lobby

As I mentioned in a previous post, MrChocodemon on the forums came up with some suggestions on how to improve the lobby (and the rest of the dungeon so far). Today I'm gonna take a look at some of those suggestions and how we've improved the dungeon accordingly!