Version 0.599i (+ivy+inca+ipman+irl)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.599ivy - Let Imbalance Begin!

Summary: SKILLS! Another way to summarize this patch would be SIGNIFICANT CHANGES.

I don't think there's been a single patch that's been so full of stuff that could potentially break the game, both balance wise and software wise! On the plus side, there's plenty of pretty cool stuff in there!

So, yeah, every non-support spell has gotten a Gold Charge. A few spells have also been reworked to different extents (see notes). Wind Slash has been replaced by Static Touch. Shadow Clone has been nerfed. Whirlslash has been nerfed a little bit as well. All charged up version of spells have been buffed, both directly and indirectly. Every charge level brings some bonus Armor Penetration, and we've also increased the movement speed while charging, which is a buff to the entire concept.

Note: The graphics are not final for a lot of these things. The Static Touch cubes is currently missing a lot of different colors, has some missing or unpolished animations, etc. Same goes for a number of other spells, so until I've removed this notice, only severe visual bugs should be reported!

Don't forget the /respec command, people! There's a time for having a genuine experience and paying for those skill points, but this ain't that time!

A little weird detail I'm adding for the heck of it is the ability to turn on slower diagonal walk speed by typing "/debug Diagonal" in the chat. This makes the diagonal movement of the character more mathematically correct. I'm curious to hear how people feel about that! It's still not entirely right, since the perspective should make characters move considerably slower along the Y axis, but... let's not go there!

@Own, if you have time to check out the Gun-D4m fight to see if my changes had any effect, please report back here so I know if it worked!

Translators! Every detailed spell description for the updated spells (SpellBasic, SpellC1, etc) has been changed to become more generic (and to reflect new properties). This is good news for everyone, since you won't have to update the translation if we change the EP cost or duration of something! I haven't flagged these entries, however, since that makes the tools delete your old text and that might not be desirable. I'll change that for you after the Steam Early Access release!

Anyways... behold! Actual patch notes!

Additions
  • Hotfix A: The cheat command /skillpoint has been enabled and grants a ton of skill points (Story Mode only)
  • Lab time! By typing /debug Diagonal in the chat, you can try out slower diagonal walk speed - see forum patch notes for info on why
  • All cards from Seasonne and Temple of Seasons now have working effects!
  • You can now open the gift boxes dropped by the Gift enemies
  • Prototype gold charges have been added to all spells
  • The air spell Static Touch has been added to the game (replacing Wind Slash)
Changes
  • Increased damage on GUN-D4M's blue shots - now comparable to the other types of bullets
  • The Frostling Boots have been removed from the Arcade Mode drop pool and instead added to the shops
  • Chain Lightning's damage reduction per bounce has been reduced to 20 %, down from 30 %
  • Chain Lightning can now bounce back to the player if lacking enemies to bounce at
  • Flame Thrower's silver charge can now be canceled out of by attacking
  • Shadow Clone has been reworked to block out less EP, and deal less damage but having a chance to proc debuffs
  • Summon Plant's silver charge is now a ranged minion (and very cute)
  • Frosty Friend now has a bunch of player commands that unlock with charge level
  • Frosty Friend's HP now partly scales with player level
  • Frosty Friend will now automatically resurrect after a while if dead - this goes faster if player helps
  • Movement speed while charging has been increased to 40 % (up from 20 %)
  • The number of character slots has mysteriously been increased to 9
  • The air spell Wind Slash has been removed from the game
  • Whirlslash has had its damage slightly reduced on silver charge
  • The Dodging Strike attack animation is now attack and spell cancelable
  • If you get a Perfect Dodge when using Dodging Strike, the next spell or skill used (within 1 second) will auto charge to the same level
Bug Fixes
  • Hotfix A: The game should no longer crash when using Spirit Slash together with Static Touch
  • Hotfix A: Maybe the text won't get all fuzzy and silly anymore?
  • Hotfix A: The Chain Lightning gold charge now has a description in more info!
  • GUN-D4M, Phaseman and the Arcade Bullet Machine's bullet hells have all been optimized a bit
  • The bosses on the later Arcade Mode floors should no longer be impossible to obtain S rank for
  • Fixed a rare crash while talking to the shopkeeper on the highest floor in Arcade Mode
  • Leveling only a talent before seeing the quicklevel box for the first time no longer crashes the game
  • Getting knocked out of the Smash animation will no longer leave behind an eternal hitbox of death
  • Naniva no longer start talking when you level up, despite not having her along anymore
  • The Fishing Gods now lets you fish again from the same spot even if you failed or cancelled your previous attempt
  • Fixed a typo in the Small Clock description
  • The reticle for targeted spells should no longer have trouble traversing certain areas
  • The Living Puzzle Block should no longer be able to jump out of bounds
  • It's now possible to push the Living Puzzle Block after its defeat even if it died airborne
  • A cutscene can no longer be interrupted by a Game Over, resulting in missed story content
  • The Multitasking talent no longer needs points on Shield Bearer to become active (oops!)
  • You can no longer use the Prismatic talent to reduce the cost of Shadow Clone

Patch 0.599inca

Additions
  • The Smash skill now has its proper graphics
  • The Shadow Clone skill now has its proper graphics
  • The Static Touch spell now has its proper graphics
  • The Spirit Slash gold charge has gotten its graphics touched up
  • The Frosty Friend gold charge now has a small impact effect on its regular attacks
Bug Fixes
  • Smashing enemies into walls should work a bit more consistently now
  • Getting smashed by a Smashed enemy should no longer cause certain enemies to become immortal
  • Frosty Friend no longer takes orders while being knocked out - let the poor guy rest!
  • Silver charge Plants have received sensitivity training and will no longer hurt their friends from the north
  • Static Touch now actually have a chance to stun enemies at Silver and Gold charge!
  • Getting hit with Static Touch now only removes your own cubes, and not everyone else's
  • If you get hit out of your Whirlslash, enemies that have died during it actually dies
Patch 0.599ipman

Additions
  • Some new mage centric armors have been added to the game (currently found in store)
Changes
  • The left side of the in game menu, the Character tab and the icons at the top have gotten new graphics
  • Frosty Friend can now be revived even in Arcade Mode
  • Frosty Friend has had his damage boost at Silver and Gold charge reduced
  • Frosty Friend Frenzy ability has had its duration reduced from 4 seconds to 2 seconds
  • Frosty Friend Frenzy ability has had its cooldown reduced from 12 seconds to 8 seconds
Bug Fixes
  • Frosty Friend can no longer get hit by the bullets in Flying Fortress Bullet Hell Challenges
  • Frosty Friend should now be less inclined to spawn out of bounds when entering a new zone
  • Bishop's Double Monster-challenge now also doubles the par time for the room
  • Static Touch cubes no longer gets removed from shielding enemies
  • Static Touch instances no longer remain after dying

Next Patch: I'll be throwing in more of Vilya's menu reworks (sadly not the equipment part) before 0.600a. In reality, we'll probably have a number of i-iterations due to bugs :D

Ideally, I would've wanted a week of stability before the Steam Early Access release, buuut due to circumstances that's not going to happen now.

Last edited:

Own

Whirlslash has had its damage slightly reduced on silver charge

Huh. You know, that was actually a point of discussion between me and one of the other people who ran Whirlslash. One of us said Whirlslash gave more sustained DPS if you just used Hit+Basicwhirl, the other said Whirlslash gave more sustained DPS if you Silvercharged.

I haven't seen the numbers, but I think you might have settled that discussion. :p

Frosty Friend will now automatically resurrect after a while if dead - this goes faster if player helps

Neat! I've always kind of thought it would be nice if you could ressurect him from anywhere by just holding his skill button for the rezz, but auto-ress works too. :) It'll make him a lot less frustrating.

The number of character slots has mysteriously been increased to 9

Well, this makes me immensely happy to have plenty of characters to test with. :D As a completely random note... wouldn't it be neat if your other save files showed up in the Hall of Memories walking around as Collectors? Probably not worth the time, but it would be cool~

@Own, if you have time to check out the Gun-D4m fight to see if my changes had any effect, please report back here so I know if it worked!

Will-do. :) I'll try it in singleplayer and co-op when I get the chance. By the way, speaking of Arcade, can you even get Gold Skills in Arcade? Every time I've played I've always been 1-2 points short of maxing a skill out.

On an additional note - could we get some sort of command specifically to make bugtesting characters? Like /GoldChargeUpdate? I don't think the current level up command adds skillpoints or talent points.

Own

Do you want me to make immediate-update bug reports here, or devote topics to them in Bug Reports?

Because I got in, saw I had 99 presents and opened 6 of them in the menu. Now it's stuck at 93 and I can't open anymore. Also, I got a masque. Wasn't that a unique item, or am I confusing it for something?

Edit: Ah, no. If you press ESC too quickly and go back into the menu while you're still holding the item up, it won't let you open another.

Is there anything to be new to be obtained out of these?

Own

I just got a Gift Box from... an Ice Slime? A yeti? East of Muffin's. Thatdoesn't seem normal. It's not under their loot table.

Also, I just noticed I still have Stolen Presents in my inventory. A /DeleteStolenPresents command would be helpful but not necessary. :D It's not like I mind clutter. Especially since I still have Amalet in my inventory.

EDIT - OH! The card is making the present drop!

Last edited:

Own

My walking speed while charging skills seems significantly higher, and I don't have any talents or movement speed based equipment on. Anyone else experiencing this?

I can't see my movement speed while charging value anywhere.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Do you want me to make immediate-update bug reports here, or devote topics to them in Bug Reports?

For bugs directly related to this patch you can post them here for now!

Will-do. :) I'll try it in singleplayer and co-op when I get the chance. By the way, speaking of Arcade, can you even get Gold Skills in Arcade? Every time I've played I've always been 1-2 points short of maxing a skill out.

I don't think it's possible, no.

On an additional note - could we get some sort of command specifically to make bugtesting characters? Like /GoldChargeUpdate? I don't think the current level up command adds skillpoints or talent points.

I'll unlock the /skillpoint command next patch! Skill points and talent points for eeribodi!

I just got a Gift Box from... an Ice Slime? A yeti? East of Muffin's. Thatdoesn't seem normal. It's not under their loot table.

Trust me - you've earned it!

My walking speed while charging skills seems significantly higher

Higher than what? Before the patch? Compared to not charging? We reduced the penalty from 80 % to 60 % of max movespeed while charging!

Own

Higher than what? Before the patch? Compared to not charging? We reduced the penalty from 80 % to 60 % of max movespeed while charging!

Ah, it just seemed so quick I could have sworn it was a bug. It feels so much faste now, before I was like a snail.

I just tossed 5 points into Multitasking and equipped the Rollerblades. It seems to be exactly on par with the normal walking speed or... a tiny % quicker than normal walking? Could just be my imagination. But hey, if that does increase your walking speed over the max, speedrun strats. :D

I found a huge bug regarding the use of the new static touch skill.

If you use Shadow Slash with Static Touch activated (any charge) the game will crash. Be warned!

Own

Impressions:

Heroic Slam devoured the yeti. Just. Completely consumed it. In one bite. Dear lord.

Titan Throw also just devoured a yeti in one go.

Berserker Style seems to have gotten a stealth nerf? I no longer recover EP when using other skills that hit withit. But Berserker+Whirlslash was pretty strong, so I guess this was inevitable. :p

Max Meteor seems a little underwhelming, consider it's slow charge time, unreliable timing, the vulnerability it puts you in... that damage seems like it ought to be on parwith melee at least.

Flamethrower is awesome, but not really visually at gold. I assume it's visual gold charge is being worked on, or isthe gold charge bonus purely mechanically and not visually?

JESUS CHRIST, Snowbuddy! Do you wanna get real swole man? o_O He kicks ass.

Earthspike...

upload_2015-7-7_10-50-41.png
All kidding aside, I was disappointed to see Earthspike's final charge didn't launch yetis into the air. I figure if your entire gimmick is 'throwing enemies into the air' and you can't toss big, beefy enemies up there... what's the point of you?

Summon Plant's final charge is... a free summon for no cost forever? Well. In a short area, at least. A perma-summon who doesn't follow you is a pretty severe drawback in a game where you're constantly on the move. So I guess this is fair.

Insect Swarm's gold appearance is cool, but the gold chargeis just +DMG and +Lifespan. Everything else seems to have gotten a nice new mechanic. Poor little guys are left out. :(

Chain lightning looks AMAZING! But it doesn't display enemy HP bar in the corner when used, and the skill page says Not Implemented even though it is.

Cloudbro is hilarious and useful. I thought he had an evil rageface though? You guys stuck with making him cute? He's good either way, really.

The new skill is... interesting. I can't say anything about it one way or the other, it needs a lot of experimentation. The damage does seem slow, but I assume the Stun is the biggest draw.

View attachment 775

Present Hyperspawn + Gold Charge Smash = @Own get on multiplayer whenever you've found all the bugs for this patch :p

That reminds me of the gameboy minigame from Super Mario RPG for SNES. You fired a star up at turtle shells and they exploded into stars which hit other turtle shells, and so on, and so on for ridiculous points.

Own

Did something happen to the font of the game? It looks all blurry and unpleasant now, when before it was very crisp and stood out. It kind of bothers my eyes. Is this intentional?

upload_2015-7-7_11-13-41.png

I recorded a video of all the new gold charges and it'll go up later on, but I like them so far.

It's definitely going to change the meta. I do think some of the skills (mostly the spells) are a LITTLE underwhelming for how long it takes to charge. One example that stood out was the new rock charge.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
If you use Shadow Slash with Static Touch activated (any charge) the game will crash. Be warned!

OoOoOOupS! The upcoming hotfix will fix this!

Did something happen to the font of the game? It looks all blurry and unpleasant now, when before it was very crisp and stood out. It kind of bothers my eyes. Is this intentional?

Certainly not! I'm totally confused, too. I thought I had found what caused the bug and fixed it, and then to make sure I removed the fix and tried reproducing it but failed! It might be fixed now, though, because what I found should potentially have been able to mess with the text.

I do think some of the skills (mostly the spells) are a LITTLE underwhelming for how long it takes to charge.

A lot of the magic spells might very well need a little push, and the more powerful weapon skills might be a bit too crazy!

Also, I forgot to actually add those mage robes I keep yapping about! Hehe!

Flamethrower is awesome, but not really visually at gold. I assume it's visual gold charge is being worked on, or isthe gold charge bonus purely mechanically and not visually?

The current look is what I like to call ""final"". It'll have to do for this moment, but yeah, I agree with you. Maybe Fred could make some blue flames for the sucker, Wings of Liberty style!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member

Ok, so what apparently has seemed to happen is that a font file in the build folder somehow became corrupt in some awesome way! With the upcoming anonymous micro patch it should actually be fixed.

Paradinight

Green Slime
Hey there, avid player, really big fan of Arcade mode. Just wanted to pop-in here (I guess now is better then later) but have had this bug maybe 2-3 times now, the only inputs I'm doing is holding up+left or right (as I enter the next room). It happens on multiplayer and single player, experienced it in the last frontline as well.
arcademode bug.png

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I haven't flagged these entries, however, since that makes the tools delete your old text and that might not be desirable.
How about flagged entries are marked as unsaved, but retain their translated text until you edit them?

Also, a mistake in Frosty Friend description for Guard move: "It can still be damage", should be "damaged"