Version 0.670a

Own

People send to have great amusement with the fact that Cloud Strike is active during cutscenes, like him doofily smiling away during absolute inopportune moments. A lot of streamers even give him dialogue. I don't think he needs to be disabled, I think he just needs to have a pre-set location to drift towards away from concealing NPCS during cutscenes.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
So, "Thorn-Worms" are called "Thorn Worms" in every new text they are referred, like Giant Thorn Worm description or Thorn Worm Plushie (missing the "-")

EDIT:
"[...] With a mouth capable of devouring a human in a single bite, and a spiky tail sporting tremendous crushing power [...]"
How does "sporting" translate here?

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
How does "sporting" translate here?

What I hope it means is like... the tail has tremendous crushing power! In my head "sporting" is like a show-off synonym for "has". Like "the new Lamborghini is sporting awesome gangsta rims"!

I might be wrong and if I am I'll just activate the "OMG I'm Swedish give me a break"-defense like a sissy!

Own

Well, that was an interesting discovery.

Dragon Sword = Echo of Madness Sword = Zhamla's Sword.

Same colors, style, everything. So Zhamla's sword is an artifact, drove him mad, fed his obsessive grindathon, unleashed a ton of shades of himself into the village that destroyed it? Doesn't seem like it killed everyone in Tai Ming, though, given that many obvious descendants live in Evergrind.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
What I hope it means is like... the tail has tremendous crushing power! In my head "sporting" is like a show-off synonym for "has". Like "the new Lamborghini is sporting awesome gangsta rims"!

I might be wrong and if I am I'll just activate the "OMG I'm Swedish give me a break"-defense like a sissy!
This was bugging me, because Google Translator gives it two definitions:
"connected with or interested in sports."
"fair and generous in one's behavior or treatment of others, especially in a game or contest."

But one does not simply trust Google Translator, right? Looking at many (5) different dictionaries, only one had a definition that doesn't directly relate to sports.
Simple Definition of sporting
: of, relating to, or used in sports
: fairly good
: done or behaving in a way that treats the other people in a sport or competition fairly

Full Definition of sporting
a : of, relating to, used, or suitable for sport; especially : trained for trapping or retrieving game <sporting dogs>
b : marked by or calling for sportsmanship
c : involving such risk as a sports contender may expect to take or encounter <a sporting chance>
: of or relating to dissipation and especially gambling
: tending to mutate freely
So yeah, seems like sporting is actually really related to... well, sport.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I don't see it used that often these days, despite what Google's usage graph shows. Really, from these definitions, it feels like it would be more akin to the meaning "of good sportsmanship," as in, playing fairly and kindly - not diving on the floor and whining about being gently clipped by a slide tackle. Honestly though, I'd trust the dictionaries much more than me on this one.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Reading the definition together with my sentence again, I might still have used it wrong though honestly, since I write the worm's thorns are "sporting tremendous attacking power"! The word seems to be used for showing off visible things?

Maybe something like "the worm is sporting a spiky tail with tremendous attacking power" would be more sensible :p

(or just use a regular word that people understand :chicken:)

Elswor

Rabby
Did you have the game running for a while? You might've been playing when I uploaded a patch that "fixes" the lock out issue! You'll have to go to Tai Ming, save and exit and then go back into that character slot.

If that doesn't work, you can write /taiming2reset to reset just the second zone, and bring the rifts back!

Ah that explains it, yeah I had it open most of the day, I would come back every few hours. Guess I didn't notice any hotfixes got applied since Steam doesn't update for me if games are running. :p

Looks like you had already beaten me to the punch on that one. Good job!

Last edited:

Own

More bugs:

If you type Z in the chat while a cutscene is up, it will skip ahead to the next line. Same with X and skipping a scene, when typing.

No 'Gather your friends' on Tessen's doorway when Zhamla is leaving town.

In co-op, we died when doing the 4 statue puzzle in Puzzle World. When we respawned and went back, all the statues were automatically in place.

In co-op, after doing Mana's quest, one player can still talk to her diary and have Bag say to gather your friends. If your friends actually come over, trying to talk to the diary does nothing.

Also, I just noticed Tessen is the Undead Spirit Priestess. Neat.

Last edited:

Own

New Bug: In the ESC menu, your area-portrait shows Old Tai Ming in the entrance of Puzzle World. One screen up you're shown as being in New Tai Ming, even though you're still in Old Tai Ming. Going into the portal and leaving it puts your area-portrait as Old Tai Ming properly.

But shouldn't Puzzle World have it's own area-portrait? I think the Toy Factory, another mini-dungeon, does.

Bug 2: DoT fire makes... squeaky sounds? Wtf?

---

So, non-bug related thoughts on the update, on Normal Mode.

The concept of the monkey is great. It's current implementation seems a bit buggy, though, or his script was tweaked to make him much less of a chaser since the Echo of Madness already fills that role. Monkey mainly seems to run around the screen at random, rarely engaging me in combat. It seems a rarity that he gets to pick up an ally and fling it, too. Seems like he would be much more threatening if his script was:

- Is there an Echo + non-monkey enemies alive? 100% Avoid the player, only punching if they get in melee range. Pick up enemies, throw them at player.
- Are no Echos present + non-monkey enemies alive? 50% aggro player, 50% throw enemies.
- Are no Echos present + only monkey enemies alive? 100% aggro player.

Maybe the script is different in hard mode, though, because they seemed to enjoy running around aimlessly on my Normal playthrough. Might just have to test a bit more, though.

---

I really hope that the Puzzle World is just a teaser of what's to come deeper in the temple, or at Puzzle Tower later in the game. I was looking forward to at least more than one timeshifting+phaseshifting puzzle, a good headscratcher in terms of difficulty. :p

---

Being locked out of the first area is a bit strange, when progressing to the second. I hope that we'll be able to revisit all the areas in the past when the temple is completed? All those shops, treasures, etc I'd hate to miss out on. :D

---

It's nice to see Jerk Physics in SoG. Breaking things resulting in an NPC getting annoyed, or a girl crying, was a really nice touch!

---

The bossfight was really fun! Seeing the super-worm was a thrill, too, like - wow, I get to fight this thing? Awesome. Watching it get one-hit KO'd was kind of a letdown. :p I hope it comes back in the future as an optional superboss battle. Easy to see a movelist for it. Sucking in players, munching them up and spitting them out. Firing spikes in random directions. Etc.

---

Monkey puzzle room really needs to be tinkered so that the monkeys can't accidentally drop the key. If it's possible to do nothing and watch them hurl the key on the floor it seems to be working wrong.

---

Minor amounts of lag fighting outside the Collector HQ in the present in single player, at times. In multiplayer it can get bad enough that my 1-hand swing attacks sometimes just suddenly stop swinging for a second, no matter how much I mash the key.

---

The monkey would make for a really great pet! Might be nice to see a secret cave somewhere with a friendly monkey in it, where you're painted on the walls as a hero for saving them. Ungrateful gits. :p

---

Getting all the secret treasures in Tai Ming was rather enjoyable. :D

Last edited:

Own

Is there a command to reset specifically before the worm bossfight? Bit hard to run a bunch of different builds on it at the moment.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Is there a command to reset specifically before the worm bossfight? Bit hard to run a bunch of different builds on it at the moment.

No, but you could use the /nosave command to disable saving just before the fight, and just go back to the main menu and reload to be pretty close! Or just suicide before beating the worm - I don't know what's more tedious.

Hmm.. can you teleport during the fight? If so maybe you can restart the fight by teleporting back to Tai Ming :D

Own

So, on Hard Mode my flamethrower liquifies the worm. On normal mode my friend and I struggled a bit with the priestess, though that might be due to minor lag limiting my DPS on swings.

Anyhow, new bug:

I ESC skipped the cutscene after killing the worms and my Tab quest says to inspect the cave up north. Even though what I'm meant to do is go to Tessen and have her tell me to go to the cave up north. This shouldn't be flagged as the next step until talking to her, I think.

Also, on Hard and Normal in the monkey room, I'm actually struggling to ensure the monkeys don't drop the key on the floor. They seem hellbent on ending the minigame prematurely, when all I want to do is farm them for their card. I can actively do nothing but run away from them and still they'll drop the key. Makes this less a game and more a 'kill 5-6 monkeys' room.

Watching the monkeys carefully, it seems like key monkey is meant to wait for an ally monkey to clap and signal they're ready for the key. But sometimes it throws it at an ally without waiting for them to clap, causing it to hit the floor 100% of the time.

And now I've actively avoided picking up the key altogether and come after me. They just ignore it and all come after me. This isn't fun. :p

Various different ways on how to improve it:

- Requires a key perfect block or killing the monkey receiving/throwing it to end up on the floor.
- Monkeys living immediately try to pick up the key when it hits the floor.
- Monkeys endlessly spawn until the key is in the lock.
- If you're hit with the key, you drop it.
- Have 4 designated thrower monkeys and 4 designated catcher monkeys, who reverse roles when a catcher grabs their key. 3 of the thrower monkeys throw slightly different false keys around. Keep up with which ones have the real key! (Probably too complicated :p)

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, I'll have to revisit them monkeys and their key throwing antics for sure. Much of it is the new room layout confusing them, but that they completely troll each other by not actually taking the key sounds like a straight up bug! In its prototype stage outsmarting the monkeys was very tough so I'm not sure what has happened apart from the pillars o_O

Vilya's blog says these three items were added to the area, but I can't find the first two. Are they?

I might've tricked her to write something untrue by asking about the graphics! I think the ears are supposed to be a drop from the monkeys, but it's not in the game yet. The second item is going to be crafted from worm thorns (among other things)!

Own

upload_2016-11-2_5-35-43.png

Hit a monkey who was in the process of catching a key, this happened. Levitating key. Another monkey came by and plucked it from the air, though.

I've noticed that if a monkey is along the pillars up top and throws the key at a monkey also along the pillars, the key will strike the pillar to the right of the door and abruptly fly down to the southern wall.

Also, we haven't had a boar-charging-rock-esque sidequest / secret in a long time. :p Would be nice to see one requiring the monkeys throwing something at something else.