Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Haha, I forgot to mention that in the post.. She'll move to the empty house next to the café (the lower one) :)

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator

Fae Boss Portrait, Part 1: Summer
- 1 down, 4 to go -

01%2BSketch.png

Read all about how the different stages of the portrait have been made at
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/11/fae-boss-portrait-part-1-summer.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Dreamhack Winter: Preparations

As you might have heard, we'll be exhibiting Secrets of Grindea over at Dreamhack Winter this weekend. Well, when I say we, it's not really true: Fred will be there representing, along with one of his brothers. Teddy and I will stay at home to keep working: we really want to finish the game sometime after all... :)

Anyway! Going to an expo such as this needs a fair bit of preparations. For the last couple of expos we've been to, we've used a special build of the game, which only allows you to play until the end of the trials (basically where the demo ends, if you have tried it). That's not the only thing that's special with the build though!

no%2Bcharacters.png

In our expo build, characters aren't saved. We added this feature because we faced an issue where people didn't dare delete an old character when all slots were filled, but started playing on one that already existed instead. That, of course, meant that they had no idea what they were doing, as they jumped straight into the action without even knowing which buttons to use! It also meant we had to spend a lot of time deleting characters so there always would be free slots open...

More can be read at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/11/dreamhack-winter-preparations.html

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Would it be possible to have that in-game footage in the background of the menu instead of the clouds? :)
Seems like a lot more fun than the current background and it might give players some ideas to what they wanna try first if they're new to the game. We have talked about having something that gives new players some kind of preview of the game and this seems like a really fun way to show new players different skills without having a dream sequence or a new tutorial.

Own

The clouds don't really show off anything about the theme of the game, to be honest, but they're better than a constant stream of footage.

Most console games will automatically play footage of the game if nothing is done after 20-30 seconds on the main menu, I wouldn't mind that necessarily.

GarlicJelly

The clouds don't really show off anything about the theme of the game, to be honest, but they're better than a constant stream of footage.

Most console games will automatically play footage of the game if nothing is done after 20-30 seconds on the main menu, I wouldn't mind that necessarily.
Why do you think that the clouds are better than showing footage from the game? Is it because you don't want the menu to spoil anything or is it because you think that it would make the menu a lot more messy and therefore unplesant to use?

The 20-30 second afk thing is not a bad suggestion but for the purpose of showing off the game before you start playing I guess it kind of is because nobody is going to sit afk in the menu when they open up the game for the first time. :p

Own

I'm confused - there's only one card for all three knights / wizards? So there's only two cards available in the upcoming temple, or are there more enemies available?

I guess it makes things easier to only have to design two cards instead of six. :p

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I'm confused - there's only one card for all three knights / wizards? So there's only two cards available in the upcoming temple, or are there more enemies available?

I guess it makes things easier to only have to design two cards instead of six. :p
That is correct, we felt six cards would be a bit too much for people to collect, given this game isn't an MMO after all :)
So for now, two cards only! However, we have been talking about making a third enemy, so in the end there might be three. We'll see what happens!

Own

You've already essentially got six enemies, a 'third' one might not be too necessary. :D I'm curious if each of the six enemies have their own loot tables though, or if all three knights and wizards share a loot table?

A tiny Season Squire could be a cute idea if you guys are searching for ideas. Color palette adapts immediately to the season of the room, heads to the nearest knight matching it's color to protect / buff it, flees if no season-aligned knights are available. There already seems to be plenty of synergy between Wizards and Knights though, so I dunno. :p

GarlicJelly

I think Loretta could have a littler bigger smile on her face in her portrait. She is dealing with customers so she should look happy and smile. Might just be me but I think she looks too much like a doll and too little like a person, she really fits as a doll-looking person but her face is a bit stiff. I don't really know how to explain it... I hope this makes sense. XD
Keep up the good work!

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
You've already essentially got six enemies, a 'third' one might not be too necessary. :D I'm curious if each of the six enemies have their own loot tables though, or if all three knights and wizards share a loot table?
Whether they will have their own loot tables or not haven't been decided yet!

I think Loretta could have a littler bigger smile on her face in her portrait. She is dealing with customers so she should look happy and smile. Might just be me but I think she looks too much like a doll and too little like a person, she really fits as a doll-looking person but her face is a bit stiff. I don't really know how to explain it... I hope this makes sense. XD
Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I definitely see what you mean, thanks for the feedback! I'll try to fiddle around with it when I have some time :3

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator

Season Temple Enemy Testing
- Awesome Gifs for everyone -

Today we have spent some time testing the various combos of enemies available in the Temple of Seasons. Teddy has already talked a bit about it over on our official devblog, but I thought I'd share what we did today and how we'll move forward with the enemies and the temple in general. Let's begin with the very basic combos:
TinyImmediateCalf.gif

Many more and much smoother gifs and a lot of infos about testing the new enemies can be read at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/season-temple-enemy-testing.html