Version 0.660b

Own

Out of curiousity, is there going to be a boss that takes advantage of the timeshift mechanic? It was fun using the season change with the hydras, this mechanic seems like it has potential too.

I just don't know how you would have a bossfight that spans a thousand years back and forth. Unless you're fighting... a mindless protector golem bound to one spot, or something? Defensive Mode in the Past, Offensive Mode in the Present.

Wound a bodypart of it enough in the past and it'll put a shield over that part that spans a millennia. Go forward into the present where it's growing increasingly ballistic depending on how much of it you've broken to finish the parts off one by one. Kill a weakened part in the future, get a golem core, bring it back to the past and blow off the shields there to finish it off in the past, leaving it destroyed in both past and future. Or just require it be destroyed in the present, without going back to bother with it.

That's about the only way I can figure how a time travel boss would work. :)

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
For boss mechanics, instead of going back and forth in time, the time could only progress forward during the battle. Doing something during boss battle could open a portal to travel few years forward and it could be repeated to make the boss age progressively until it can be properly damaged.

Eerie

Green Slime
So I've finished Mount Bloom and Tai Ming 100% for what's currently been added and I absolutely loved it all! (Aside from what seems to be a hard hat in a crafting recipe including a crystal and moss, anyone know where I can find it?)
7wPJl8i.png

I didn't run into any bugs that I noticed which was great (aside from a couple of minor texture bugs but nothing game breaking), I'm super excited for the updates to come, great work!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think that's either gonna be a leather or iron cap, from the shape. They're either bought from the blacksmith or hat shop, can't remember which though.

Eerie

Green Slime
I think that's either gonna be a leather or iron cap, from the shape. They're either bought from the blacksmith or hat shop, can't remember which though.
It was the Leather Cap, I never bought them because I didn't need them haha, thanks for your help!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Also. The /preload command doesn't seem to have any effect on the first time loading into Tai Ming... But once again, Further Speedrun Testing will be done later. It could've been a fluke and it does work properly. Just wanted to kinda throw it out there.

Does the /preload command work as intended otherwise, i.e. give subsequent loading times comparable to you doing a practice run? I was under the impression that it was ineffective, but I hope I'm wrong!

As for something being different with Tai-Ming... hmm... perhaps it's the double song loading, but that shouldn't take super long. I'll have to think about it!

JamesKT

Boar
Does the /preload command work as intended otherwise, i.e. give subsequent loading times comparable to you doing a practice run? I was under the impression that it was ineffective, but I hope I'm wrong!

As for something being different with Tai-Ming... hmm... perhaps it's the double song loading, but that shouldn't take super long. I'll have to think about it!
Fast loading everywhere. It works wonderfully. I just need to do a fresh load of the game and try it out with the current build.

Also the Double Song feels reminiscent of FF13-2. :3

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I just patched the game to 0.660b, with the following patch notes:

Changes
  • The statue time puzzle has received some 'environmental hints', since it was unclear to a lot of people
  • Perfect guarding Ancient Statues now delays their next jump by one second
  • The Oni Mask can no longer be obtained from a Present Day chest - it will be moved further into the dungeon
Bug Fixes
  • Players getting pushed or thrown away at high speeds should no longer go out of bounds or get stuck
  • Bishop should no longer toy with your heart by spawning rewards in unreachable places in Arcade Mode
  • Fixed a bug allowing Thorn Worms to dig through the level bounds and escape into a brand new world
  • Defeating the Cursed Priestess at a specific moment no longer removes player collision (allowing premature time warps and softlocks)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
So less than three minutes after I beat the boss...

sequence.png

SEQUENCE BREEEAK HYYPE \o/

Finally a glitch that's useful in a speedrun. If you use dodging strike between the painting guy and the fence you can clip straight through. Saves a few seconds I guess.

JamesKT

Boar
Finally a glitch that's useful in a speedrun. If you use dodging strike between the painting guy and the fence you can clip straight through. Saves a few seconds I guess.
Think it'll work on the guard in the building? It'll warrant a 1 point pick up if it does work.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
When someone is blocking an exit, they tend to be there only as a prop, because they don't actually block the whole of the exit. The trigger for the exit tends to be completely removed. Trust me, I've tried with many other doors, but this clip just happens to keep you in the same area, which is why it works :p I'll give it a go later though.

JamesKT

Boar
Does the /preload command work as intended

With my new controller, I did another test speedrun. The /preload command works as intended. I guess it was because I did the speedrun after I explored the content at first so it may have for whatever reason... Unloaded Tai Ming? I dunno. Definitely wouldn't put blame on double music.

EDIT: Dodging Strike might warrant a place in the speedrun past Cursed Priestess. More testing required.

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Dodging strike is a must in Mt. Bloom. Currently any sort of gas on the floor, either poison or mushroom, will give you an instant perfect dodge if you're in it. If you start pumping it then it may be a little more forgiving later.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
After a bit of grinding, Echoes of madness are annoying. I don't mind their erratic movement, but their swipe has varying time delays, making it very difficult to perfect dodge. However, when you do:

swipe.png

Silver charge and above causes the sword to stay exactly in it's animation position when you strike it. If they've just done their swipe, this leaves a massive blue trail on the screen that does a very good job obscuring whats going on, let alone all the damage indicators, particle effects, shadow clones, flying statues and exploding spores.

What's even worse is that half the time they stand just too far away that you can't hit them with a perfect dodge, and sometimes an average 1H swipe. At the rate things are going, I'm seriously considering not touching arcade again due to how difficult it feels like it's going to be.

Anyhow, one more bug. If you lure the statues outside the area in which they respawn, they never respawn. These guys have been stuck like this for a good 5 minutes, and no others have respawned in the area.

statue.png

Dzed

Green Slime
After a bit of grinding, Echoes of madness are annoying. I don't mind their erratic movement, but their swipe has varying time delays, making it very difficult to perfect dodge. However, when you do:

View attachment 1771

Silver charge and above causes the sword to stay exactly in it's animation position when you strike it. If they've just done their swipe, this leaves a massive blue trail on the screen that does a very good job obscuring whats going on, let alone all the damage indicators, particle effects, shadow clones, flying statues and exploding spores.

What's even worse is that half the time they stand just too far away that you can't hit them with a perfect dodge, and sometimes an average 1H swipe. At the rate things are going, I'm seriously considering not touching arcade again due to how difficult it feels like it's going to be.

Anyhow, one more bug. If you lure the statues outside the area in which they respawn, they never respawn. These guys have been stuck like this for a good 5 minutes, and no others have respawned in the area.

View attachment 1772
Can't you fight the Echo like a yeti, by dodging, jumping back, attacking 5 or 6 times, and dodging again?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'd love to, because yetis actually stand close enough to you that you can hit them. With these guys you actually have to move towards them because they stand just too far away.